Women's hybrid recommendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,
Have spent a couple of hours reading up on threads here and you guys are definitely the expert help I require! I'm looking to buy a hybrid bike through the C2W scheme. I was *very* close to purchasing the Apollo Elyse which I tried out at Halfords and had no issues with it at all but then have read some very helpful posts on here so decided against that one.
Can anyone recommend a different bike for me please? It'll be used for commuting but also for some weekend countryside path rides with my other half and our kid. My budget is around £300 (is this realistic?) because...cost of living crisis (:

I'm also limited to where I can purchase as it's the C2W scheme. Thinking Halfords or Tredz, ideally Halfords as a beginner the after care gives me some piece of mind.

Hope you can help!

OP
OP
C

Curlywurly83

Any thoughts on the Dawes Discovery Trail EQ Low Step Womens 2022? (as recommended here https://www.independent.co.uk/extra...cycling/best-hybrid-bikes-women-b1855725.html )
or the Carerra Crossfire?

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Both Dawes and the Crossfire would be a reasonable buy. The Dawes is very heavy but that shouldn’t worry you too much as long as there aren’t too many hills on your routes. V brakes are okay with plenty of stopping power. Any bikes at that price point aren’t going to be lightweights.
I should avoid the Crossfire for its suspension fork as it just adds weight and little to no extra comfort. I think there’s a version without. Edit:
https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybr...ike-2020---grey---s-m-l-xl-frames-346126.html
I'm sure @vickster will wade in with her recommendations as will others who may have experience of these bikes. You did well to avoid the Apollo.
Just for info Halfords and Tredz are one and the same. Halfords servi can be very hit and miss you’d arguably get better at Decathlon. Buying from a store is always better as any ongoing problems can be sorted easily.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi all,
Have spent a couple of hours reading up on threads here and you guys are definitely the expert help I require! I'm looking to buy a hybrid bike through the C2W scheme. I was *very* close to purchasing the Apollo Elyse which I tried out at Halfords and had no issues with it at all but then have read some very helpful posts on here so decided against that one.
Can anyone recommend a different bike for me please? It'll be used for commuting but also for some weekend countryside path rides with my other half and our kid. My budget is around £300 (is this realistic?) because...cost of living crisis (:

I'm also limited to where I can purchase as it's the C2W scheme. Thinking Halfords or Tredz, ideally Halfords as a beginner the after care gives me some piece of mind.

Hope you can help!

There are actually plenty of independent bike shops that take Halfords C2W so you can look more widely.
£300 is very much entry level but doesn’t mean it’ll be poor, just more basic in terms of components and heavier than more expensive bikes. Fit Is most important and enjoyment riding.
Just avoid front suspension eg on the crossfire! Get a rigid front fork bike

OP
OP
C

Curlywurly83

Great, thank you that's really helpful! It looks like I can push my budget up to £400 as I don't want to end up spending more on repairs etc

All uphill

Still rolling along
Is there a bicycle recycling charity near you? If so you may be able to get a serviced and guaranteed hybrid for around half your budget and still have the support and advice you might hope (if you are an optimist) to get from Halfords.

OP
OP
C

Curlywurly83

Is there a bicycle recycling charity near you? If so you may be able to get a serviced and guaranteed hybrid for around half your budget and still have the support and advice you might hope (if you are an optimist) to get from Halfords.

Oh I'm not sure, I'll have to check it out!

vickster

Legendary Member
This one does look good, thank you! I'm in South Manchester.

They’re a London based company but there‘s probably a Trek dealer nearby.
@fossyant may know
Then you can see if they take Halfords C2W

Can‘t see any Trek dealers with that reduced model (2021) in the NW, Balfes will deliver, they only have medium or large though so if you’re under about 5’6 probably too big

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

All uphill

Still rolling along

I think any of these will get you around. They are heavy and fairly basic but functional.

Did you have a chance to consider a guaranteed refurbished bike from one of the recycling projects near you? They wouldn't be new and shiny, but might not be so attractive to thieves.

Top Bottom