Wider wheels recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dazza007

Hi!
I have a Trek Emonda ALR Disc Frameset 2021 build. I have a Fulcrum Racing 5 LG Disc Brake Wheelset and had built the bike last Nov. Ever since I have been battling with vibration. I have the hydraulic brake cable and front and rear gear cables all in a foam liner. Having fitted a new bottom bracket (bearing shot after 7 months BB86!) the vibration persists. It is only when the surface of the road is unbroken and where I live you watch the road very close for damage. I have found some reviews saying it is a harsh ride on uneven ground.
I have tried running at different pressure I have 28s and it would be a close fit but would like to try 30mm- otherwise it is new bike time!
So the inner rims of the fulcrums are 17mm and I was wondering whether a 23 or 25mm rim will soften out the vibrations and noise. I have redone the cabling numerous times and think this is the cause, i think that the cable routing is an after thought as the 3 cables go around the front all into a hole on the bottom tube then down the tube and all out the same hole underneath!
Anyway I can drop the bike all day and I get no rattling, it is just on uneven ground and the noise is annoying!
Seeking advice on what size rim width would work to reduce vibrations from the road. Any recommendations would be great too
Regards,
Darren

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It probably won't make much difference. Check your bottle isn't rattling in the cage. Unfortunately, concealed cables can cause issues with rattle.

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
Can you borrow a pair of wheels with wider rims? It would be a chunk of money to drop to find it made little difference.

Note if clearance is an issue you'll need to take care as a 28c tyre will be wider when seated on a wider rim - I certainly wouldn't increase the rim width and go up a tyre size at the same time.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Tyre pressures relative to wheel loads is going to make a difference to road surface vibration transmission. No mention has been made here of total bike and rider weight, or the actual pressures used.

OP
OP
D

dazza007

Thank you that is a good point about the tyre
The tyres are continental 5000s and I have tried running all the way down to 70psi but running more at 90-95 as there is too much indentation in the wheel at lower pressure.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I run 1 1/8" or 28mm wide tyres at about 75psi in the front wheel and 95 psi in the back, with me and the bike weighing a total of about 225 lbs.
I don't experience any unpleaant vibrations at those pressures unless the surface is really poor - but then I'm riding Reynolds 531 steel frames not modern compact geometry aluminium frames with large diameter frame tubes.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I suspect wider rims will make zero difference. Different tyres might make a difference though. The problem being being which.
It's not apparent from you post if the vibrations are caused by the tyres or through the internal cabling as you seem not to be sure yourself. The cabling would make a noise but wouldn't maybe cause vibrations so most likely the tyres.
I have a much older aluminium Trek and have
no problems on 28c slick Michelins not run at max psi which just about clear the chain stays.
Difficult to know what to suggest, sorry.

Friend had this and it drove him mad - narrowed it down to the cables vibrating in the tubes of the frame. Maybe foam earplugs would be a cheaper solution though.

OP
OP
D

dazza007

So took out gear cables and put through new foam and had to replace bearings on freehub as cassette had slight play when tight. I have put some foam in the shifters as they were vibrating too. Tightened the cups on bearing on the front wheel
The noise is annoying! And after all that is is better but there is still vibration noise over broken road surfaces, I am in two thoughts the roads are bad and a gravel bike would be more suitable.

OP
OP
D

dazza007

Problem solved - carbon seatpost and handlebars - the roads are evidently a little too rough for an all alu bike!

Top Bottom