Women's hybrid recommendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you’re considering Wiggle who are Mail
Order only, then I’d suggest the cheaper 2021 Trek from Balfes. They’re good guys (the Sutton branch is my LBS) and take Halfords C2W. They can advise on sizing, possibly a large

Trek give a lifetime warranty unlike the others. If you need things like lights and locks, price them up and then you can include in the voucher and get the tax savings

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You may be overthinking this a bit.
You'll get certain advantages with a premium bike brand like Trek as Vicky says, but you'll also pay a price for that.
You need to decide what you really need, i.e. budget (including any extras, lock helmet etc) , buy from a store near you so any problems can be sorted or are you happy to buy on the net and assemble it yourself? Most will come 90% built. Are you happy to choose with/without having tried?
Once you've decided then go down that route.
Any of the bikes you've linked will be absolutely fine for you in the correct size, albeit some being rather heavy.

Last edited:

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I have one of these, bought for my partner:

https://www.cycleofgood.com/elephant-bike/

It is a great bike and when you buy one it does some good for the rest of the world. Provided you never have to carry it up a flight of stairs!

Great bike though. Upright, stately and very, very reliable. Once you start riding, and carrying shopping, the weight is not so important.

I am guessing you want a low step bike so you can wear a skirt? If you did want to wear nice clothes you'd probably want mudguards. So add the price of those onto your asking price for any of those bikes.

3 speeds are perhaps the ideal riding to work bike, they just work. No fiddling with gears, minimal servicing. If I lived somewhere flatter I'd have one as my only bike!

If you live near Derby you're welcome to have a test ride?

OP
OP
C

Curlywurly83

I have one of these, bought for my partner:

https://www.cycleofgood.com/elephant-bike/

It is a great bike and when you buy one it does some good for the rest of the world. Provided you never have to carry it up a flight of stairs!

Great bike though. Upright, stately and very, very reliable. Once you start riding, and carrying shopping, the weight is not so important.

I am guessing you want a low step bike so you can wear a skirt? If you did want to wear nice clothes you'd probably want mudguards. So add the price of those onto your asking price for any of those bikes.

3 speeds are perhaps the ideal riding to work bike, they just work. No fiddling with gears, minimal servicing. If I lived somewhere flatter I'd have one as my only bike!

If you live near Derby you're welcome to have a test ride?

I can see why your partner likes it! I''ll need mudguards yes, but just to protect commuting clothes. I've contacted them to find out if they take the cycle2work scheme, but i doubt it. Looks like a great company.

Hebe

getting better all the time
Might be worth looking at Forme bikes if you can find them anywhere that takes your c2w scheme. I think their hybrids look interesting and they are priced around your budget, including some with mudguards and rack included.

Edit to add link
https://formebikes.co.uk/

Last edited:
I can see why your partner likes it! I''ll need mudguards yes, but just to protect commuting clothes. I've contacted them to find out if they take the cycle2work scheme, but i doubt it. Looks like a great company.
I believe they supply to a few places which do take cycle2work vouchers. Do let us know!

Of course, if you aren't going to wear skirts and long coats while riding it it doesn't matter if it's a low step through or not. But the mudguards and chainguard makes bikes like the Elephant much more civilised than one with derailleur gears and of course you don't need to spend an extra 10% on fitting them after you buy the bike.

It's the perfect no-think bike.

Top Bottom