1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lighter afternoons

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by MichaelW2, 8 Jan 2018.

1. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Über Member

I'm starting to notice the extended daylight; days are getting longer by about 1min 50 seconds per day which will accelerate to about 3mins 30 seconds by the end of the month. I have already heard the first blackbirds competing for territory.

2. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah Staff Member

Yep, looking out of the window, it's noticeably lighter this afternoon. However, this morning was very dark.

3. Sixmile

Sixmile Über Member

It's great to be heading the right way. The dark commutes don't really bother me but I miss hopping back on the bike later in the evening for another few hours.

Jason and RealLeeHimself like this.
  4. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

it's pitch black here all ready

5. RealLeeHimself

RealLeeHimself Just keep peddling, just keep peddling...

I just want it to warm up enough that I can get out on the bike without worrying about ice causing me to fall off and scratching my new bike. The days when there hasn't been any ice, it's been raining or the universe (and usually my kids) conspire against me. I'll be lucky to get out on Wednesday at this rate. :cursing: :banghead:

Rant over. Thanks for listening (reading).

I feel peace and calm. I feel peace and calm. I feel.... :angel:

Mrs M and gavroche like this.
  6. welsh dragon

welsh dragon a permanent vacancy now exists

Hoorah and thank god. I have noticed it getting a bit lighter as well. Roll on the spring. Can't get here fast enough for me.

Mrs M and RealLeeHimself like this.
  7. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Indeed. Today has just been grey and miserable. The sun was out yesterday but the wind was awful while riding. my 23 flat miles felt more like 50 uphill!

8. cyberknight

cyberknight Guru

I feel your pain, swmbo tries to guilt me into taking the car on night shift ans saturday night i only got 3 hours kip as my body was still on work mode , instead of riding i went to sleep on the sofa.

RealLeeHimself likes this.
  9. Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

I managed to actually start a ride at 4 the other day and got 15 miles in and finished in the light. Summer is coming ^_^

RealLeeHimself likes this.
  10. Brandane

Brandane Rain magnet.

Yesssss! I cannot wait for those longer nights of summer so that I can actually see the rain lashing off my windows rather than just hearing it from behind my curtains :laugh:.
    The last few summers in west central Scotland have been "disappointing" to put it mildly :sad:.

Eddy likes this.
  11. Roadhump

Roadhump Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted

I have paid quite a lot of attention to when the mornings and nights start getting lighter, mainly because I like to ride in daylight rather than darkness - for safety and enjoyment.

I was surprised to find that the nights start getting lighter on 16th December, according to this website:

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/liverpool?month=12&year=2017

That is 5 days before the shortest day, 21st December, which is the shortest day because the mornings continue to get darker until Christmas day, and don't start getting lighter until 4th January, according to the same website:

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/liverpool?month=1&year=2018

Here endeth today's CC Geographic lesson ^_^

Even though the mornings are dragging their heels getting lighter, it is nice to see afternoon daylight lasting longer - about 20 minutes now from the earliest sunsets of December. I usually don't work much at this time of year, but tomorrow I have an 18 mile commute; unfortunately it will be dark on the way home. Can't wait for the lighter months when I can extend that by a few miles by going through some lovely countryside, and a scenic coastal route.

BrumJim and RealLeeHimself like this.
  12. RealLeeHimself

RealLeeHimself Just keep peddling, just keep peddling...

Wednesday could be a good day for a ride (with no ice!) when I get to stay out a little longer thanks to the lighter afternoon!

8D8914B2-B2A8-4DD1-A53F-B175CA7A7163.jpeg

13. Jason

Jason Senior Member

Before you all go spring mad .... We are in the 8th day of January and still have around 12 weeks of cold damp horrible weather to contend with

Yes i'm feeling a bit pessimistic about the weather

14. Roadhump

Roadhump Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted

Only 12 weeks? This is the UK you know! :laugh:

Jason likes this.
  15. Easytigers

Easytigers Veteran

Started to commute again yesterday...Got ready before I looked out of the window so there were no excuses. Was dark and frosty on the way there, dark and drizzly on the way back! Roll on lighter days!