Lighter Suspension forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

139NI

I currently have a ROCKSHOX RECON SILVER TK fork

I am thinking of replacing it with a ROCKSHOX REBA RL fork. This fork is c.550grams lighter and is air sprung unlike the other.

Just would like to ask those who know;
1) Will the lighter fork make it easier going uphill [and possibly faster on the flats]?
2) Does air forks give a better ride [than spring coil]?
3) Is it worth spending £280 on it or should i stick with what i got already cos theres nothing wrong with it?

My bike is a MONTAGUE PARATROOPER bike and i would not want to buy another bike.

Thanks
w

To be honest the Recon is a nice fork, easy to service etc. Unless you really want to spend the money I would stick with what you have. If it wears out in a couple of years you might upgrade then or even buy a whole new bike, who knows?

OP
OP

139NI

To be honest the Recon is a nice fork, easy to service etc. Unless you really want to spend the money I would stick with what you have. If it wears out in a couple of years you might upgrade then or even buy a whole new bike, who knows?

ummm. wise advice, you are using your head to think. I have used my bike to think. I prob do what you suggest. £280 is not small change

Cubist

Still wavin'
Another perspective, is that you are wondering whether to upgrade a niche bike. IS the Paratrooper light to start with?

For less of a gamble money wise I would look for a used Reba (or SID). They can be had for £130-£150 if you know where to look. Factor in £25 worth of seals and oils to service it back up to new standard, and sell the Recon (you'd probably get up to £100 for it on the 'bay)

550 g will make a lot of difference to the overall ride, and the Reba dual air is one of the best air forks out there. Once properly set up they are hard to fault. You'd then have had a great upgrade for £50 -£70.

There are many other ways to save overall weight, involving upgraded chainsets, but lighter tyres and secondhand boutique wheelsets are another way forward. Shop around and you'll find Hope hubs with Mavic XC rims for £150-£180. Sell the old wheels for £50 and you've only spent another 100- 130 quid, so in total less than you'd have blown on a new Reba saving up to a kilo on overall weight between the wheels and the fork.

Top Bottom