Raleigh pioneer suspension forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonplatt

Über Member
Hi, I have just aquired pioneer metro with front susoension, I wish to remove the fork legs for maintenance and assume this is done by removing the plastic nuts on top, then maybe someting else inside. Where do I get axspanner to do this?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
My best advice is to remove the suspension fork and throw it as far as you can. Then source a unicrown fork and fit. This suspension fork just adds weight without contributing to ride comfort, you'll get more by lowering your tyre pressures.
You'll be rewarded with a lighter sharper bike.

Last edited:
OP
OP
simonplatt

simonplatt

Über Member
Thanks for your opinion, but it doesn't help me to service the forks.
This is one of six raleighs that I own, including a pioneer trail and pioneer classic, neither of which have suspension. I want to keep them 'original'

It is entirely possible that it isn't user-serviceable, or if it is that there aren't any parts available for it.

Still. Any model number/designation? Suntour generally has manuals for their forks if you Google for them. If it is a Zoom, I would be astonished if you could find one (but you could probably buy an NOS one on an auction website).

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
If I recall, they are bog-standard elastomer type forks. They are only 60mm travel and, even if you could service them, doing so probably won't make much of a difference.

Personally, I wouldn't attempt it anyway. Some of these type forks are so heavily sprung, that undoing the nuts (without some kind of clamping down) will probably result parts of them flying off at dangerous velocity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
simonplatt

simonplatt

Über Member
Thanks for that, most interesting, the suspension is working but seems stiff in comparison with that on my saracen, the dust seals seem a bit hardened, but I was just considering a strip down clean and re grease. Maybe leave as is forctge moment.
I am going to removd tge electrics from my pioneer trail. And fit to this bike as the roads around here are so rough that that its getting shaken to bits, hence the need for suspension. I would have used my saracen but its on 26" wheels and the hub is on a 700c.

Top Bottom