Want to upgrade my hybrid forum suspension to rigid forks, advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panscrank

Hello there.
I have a Cannondale Adventure 2 step through hybrid bike.
It has bog standard Suntour NEX-25 suspension forks without a lockout.
It has 650b wheels.
I'd like to swap these out for some rigid forks.
I'm looking for specific fork recommendations and any technical advice in terms of what I need to be aware of when buying/fitting.
I don't really want to spend the earth as I only mooch about on the seafront once or twice a week for about twenty or so miles.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
Panscrank

Panscrank

Anyone have any pieces of advice?

C R

Guru
This question has been asked and answered a few times, so worth searching the site for previous threads on the subject. In a nutshell, you'll need what I think is called a suspension corrected fork, which will give you the same position as when the suspension is not compressed. Other than that you will also need the steerer to match your headset. From what I remember, it may be that if your suspension can be locked you are better off keeping the fork you have and just lock it.

OP
OP
Panscrank

Panscrank

This question has been asked and answered a few times, so worth searching the site for previous threads on the subject. In a nutshell, you'll need what I think is called a suspension corrected fork, which will give you the same position as when the suspension is not compressed. Other than that you will also need the steerer to match your headset. From what I remember, it may be that if your suspension can be locked you are better off keeping the fork you have and just lock it.
Thanks for the advice.
The suspension doesn't have a lockout sadly.
I think I will go along to my local Tredz in Swansea and ask them for a price for a full conversion.

Jameshow

Veteran
Can you measure the length of the fork to the bottom of the head tube and the bottom of the head tube to the top of the stem?

Finally put a straight edge lined up on the axis of the head tube and measure how far forward the wheel bolts / skewers are from this line. (Fork rake)

From these three measure ments you should be able to find a fork suitable. Is it disk ir v braked)

Measurement will be something like 450 / 300 / 50mm

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Measurements to make:
a) Fork rake/offset. Google tells me that your exisiting fork is 44 mm offset. 45 mm is a fairly common offset, and close enough.
b) Axle to fork crown distance (measured with your weight on the bike to compress the suspension, so an assistant is probably required)

If either of a or b is much different, the steering characteristics of the bike will change. Maybe you'll find any change OK after a few rides, maybe not. For axle/crown distance it's going to start to be noticeable at about 15 mm.

c) Steerer tube length. New forks are generally supplied more than long enough, and are trimmed once you've settled on a stem/handlebar height (I use a pipe cutter). If you get a second hand fork, it should be at least as long as your existing fork.
d) Steerer tube diameter, at both top and bottom. These should match the existing fork. There do exist adapters/reducers to allow (eg) a 1 1/8" fork & headset to fit in a 1 1/4" head tube, but it's best not to need them.

Top Bottom