Lighter weight upgrades

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevenb

Hi all,

I haven't been on for an age....mainly due to work putting me of using pooters...;)

I'm going to be ugrading my wheels soon.....hopefully end of March (subject to my bonus being worthwhile).
I was looking for some opinions on the following wheelsets.

Of course I'm going for a light but good quality tyre set...possibly Conti 4000's/Chili's approx 205g each and maybe the lightweight Vittoria EVO 55g inner tubes.
Dura Ace Cassette.

Dura Ace wheelset.
Ultegra SL wheelset
Bontrager Race X-lite wheelset
Mavic Kysrium Elite wheelset.

The Bontragers come in the lightest that I have seen at 1490g.....but quality is just as important. The other three wheelsets will depend on my budget. I'll either be able to spend approx £200 on a set or approx £400.

I can save over 1lb in weight alone on my '07 Felt F75.......and with a lighter chainset (possibly Ultegra SL Compact) I'm hoping for the bike to just beat the sub 17lb bracket.
I like my bike...so won't be getting another frame/fork as mine is spot on for me.

Opinions on the wheelsets appreciated.
Cheers guys.

Steve

nikoteen

How about some gand builts,with,say Mavis op rims & Sapim cx ray spokes.
Thats what I'd REALLY like (might just end up goinf for the slightly cheaper option of some Campag Neutrons).
Note,both of these have lowish profile rims,which give a more comfortable ride,with some shock absorption.I've had some OLD 8 speed Shamals,& as fast as they are,on a long ride,are they uncomfortable...yes
OOps,just seen your price limit,sorry!

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

The continental supersonic inner tubes might be better then....but they have a longer valve and may look out of place on the wheelsets Im getting.

I have seen some easton wheels on Chain Reactions website. They look quite good too.

;)

I like handbuilt wheels but doubt I'd get a set as cheap as a factory pair?
Unless I'm out of touch I thought handbuilt wheels cost more than factory stock wheels?

domtyler

Über Member
I would test out those light weight tubes close to home Steve, especially before buying a bulk load. You may get a big increase in punctures, just what I've heard, have never bothered with them myself. Why save a fraction of a second when you risk losing ten minutes if you puncture?

Having said that, if you do get some I'd be really interested to hear how you get on! ;)

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

I thought the EVO 55's because they are only a few quid each...whereas the Conti's are more than double that each.

I don't mind getting heavier ones.....plenty of good quality 75-80g ones about.
I guess having quality tyres help though....and running correct tyre pressures.....hopefully the conti 4000's/chili's will achieve that.

Will certainly advise all of how I get on when the time comes though.:smile:

Dave5N

Über Member
As always, I'll suggest DA Hubs with OpenPros. Wish I had some now.

I heard/read the new K Elites weren't so great. Don't know anyonewith them though.

As for tubes, In a pointless-for-a-fat-bloke-weight-weenie-moment, I put Conti lightweight latex tubes in my *best* wheels and have (so far) only had one puncture. And tat was a feckin' great thorn.

jashburnham

Conti 4000's/Chili's are the best tyres I've ever used. It's weird but they just seem to roll faster...

Conti GP4000-S tyres are okay IMO, but Michelin P2R in 700x25c kick ass!!! P2R's in 700x23c are also better than the conti's IME.

I would go for the Kysrium Elites + Michelin P2Rs in 25c

Thats just me though!!

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

I have decided on a pair of DT Swiss Mon Charasse wheels, dura ace 11-23 cassette with conti superlight 50g tubes and possibly Ultremo tyres or conti chilis tyres.
These also will take my bikes weight down from a modest 18.4lbs to 16.75.
I'll be well chuffed with that.;)

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Best price I've seen it £379.99 from Chain Reaction.
Wiggle are another £6.

Check these Steve:
http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Wheels/RR-wheels.aspx

They do the 1850's (these are bloody gorgeous IMO)....but they are too heavy for me.....I wanted the 1450's so I'm getting them.
The grey 1450's are actually a little heavier...only by another 30g.
I think the white will contrast very nicely with my bike. I have red flashes on my bike as well....to match the nipples. :wacko:

Top Bottom