Lighter Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I currently have open pro rims on deore LX hubs on my thorn cyclosportif (seems to be a thorn standard and appears a very strong but slightly weighty wheel set) I have been thinking of putting these on to my commuter and getting some lighter wheels for the good bike. If i buy a set of replacement wheels for £150 would i be putting lesser wheels on the bike do i need to move up a price bracket (not really an option at this time but don't want to spend money that makes no improvement on what i have only to have spend more later)

thanks in advance for any advice on what has probably been a done to death thread in the past!

Windy

RedBike

Your main problem will probably be the spacing of the rear hub. LX (mountain bike) hubs are 135mm wide. Road bike hubs are only 130mm wide.

Open pro rims are relatively light. You' will struggle to get anything significantly lighter and as strong on a budget of £150. Perhaps a new set of tyres would be more cost effective?

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Yes you have to spend a lot of money to get any wheel with a rim (the important bit) lighter than Open Pros. Remember as the spoke number goes down, the rim has to be stiffer to compensate for the less support, which either means a deeper profile or heavier rim, or very often, both.

There is an awful lot of 'bling' with wheels these days, but getting something that is actually 'better' than the standard "Open Pro + the best group set hub you can afford" wheel does not come cheap.

In fact, if you add an exotic hub (Tune or PMP) plus CX Ray spokes, you need to spend in excess of 800 to 1000 quid on a 'factory' wheel before you see any performance benefit.

So the Open Pro rim is not to be discarded lightly. As has been suggested, look to a lighter (better) tyre and tube combination before anything else.

pieinthesky

I have to agree with previous posts, it is difficult to better open pro rims.

Not only are they light, strong and comfortable but they also allow easy tyre removal and re-fitting.

I have a pair of 32 hole open pros on Novotech hubs built up By Harry Rowland with a sapim Laser/race spoke mix. You will struggle to find anything lighter or better for the money (just over £200)

MMmmm perhaps that is an option, the ones I have are 36 hole ones i could have some more wheels built up on the 32 or lower holed rims with some road specific hubs, i.e. the best i can afford at the time and then use these when weight is at a minimum and use the 36 hole ones for the commute.

once again thanks for all the advice given, it just might have saved me a packet :tired::biggrin:

Windy

robbarker

WindyRob said:
thorn make the spacing 133 so the frame can spring to either 135 or 130.

does the hub make much difference to the wheel?

Are you absoulely sure about that? I had to specify the rear OLN spec when I got my Cyclosportif about three years ago, and they brazed in a different brake bridge depending on the spec you ordered. The new Audax Mk3 is set to 133 so you can bodge road or MTB hubs into it but, unless things have changed, the Cyclosportif was one or the other.

Fitting a road hub will reduce the strength of the wheel, as it will need more dish, but otherwise wouldn't make a great deal of difference. Given that the Cyclosportif is no lightweight itself (although it's no lardy tourer and a fantastic rapid long distance machine) I would stop worrying and just crack on with the wheels you have. Get some Pro3 race tyres and latex tubes and it will fly.

If you want to be a weight weenie, get a carbon fibre race bike.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Have you thought about lighter tyres instead - although don't go too light if you are touring. I'm no touring tyre expert, but, for example Michelin Pro Race 2's are miles better than their cheap tyres lighter and better feel.

RB thanks i hadn't noticed that in the brochure, you're right. I brought my cyclosportif as a shop soiled one, so didn't get to spec anything it just happened to be the right size and nearly £400 cheaper than if i ordered it so i was well happy.

It is a joy to ride, none of the harshness that i got from my first bike an Orbea Enol.

If nothing else this thread has set my mind at ease that i have not got crappy wheels, guess it's my legs letting me down :smile:;)

Windy

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can't go wrong with those rims.... I've had Open 4 CD's for years (over 15 years) and they have been brill - just replaced the two sets in the last 12 months with new wheels as the rims were getting worn (as you'd expect).

My new Aksiums and Ksyriums Equipes aren't noticably different in ride from the Open 4's, although the Ksyriums are very stiff.

Open Pro's are great rims.

Top Bottom