Lighting Advice / Ideas - Returning Cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi I am new to this forum it looks to have a lot of useful information and advice.

I have been cycling since I was in my teens although I haven't really ridden much in the last 12 years or so when I bought my house. Now that I want to get back in the saddle I was thinking that it would be a good idea to have at least some form of lighting on the bike. I generally don't cycle at night but was thinking something as an emergency would be a good thing.

I had the bike built to my spec back in 2002 which included a dynamo bracket on the front fork and a boss on the fork crown for a front light. I bought a B&M Lumotec lamp (6V filament lamp) and an Axa dynamo at the time but never fitted them. Things have moved on a lot since then and I wondered what might be the options today. I have a bar bag fitted so anything that clamps to the bars is no use although there is a mounting bar that I can fit under the bar bag to carry a light so the lamp would be upside down!.

I have wondered on retrofitting an LED lamp to the B&M and using a battery pack in the bar bag and fitting to the fork crown boss.

What are the options for rear lights? I have mudguards so I could mount to that at the rear or possibly at the lower end of the seat tube (seat pack fitted)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Your options are...
a) fit an LED bulb to the existing Lumotec lamp (which will give more light that the original, though the beam pattern may not be so good). Almost any modern LED dynamo light would be better.
b) Fit a modern dynamo light, powered by your Axa dynamo.
c) A modern dynamo light, powered by a dynohub wheel (cheapest is from Decathlon, ~£30 ).
Dynamo wheels are taking over, such that there are hardly any decent sidewall dynamos available any more (just the Axa HR, and the expensive Velological rim dynamo). Even cheap ones are comparable in drag to a good tyre dynamo, don't slip in the wet, and allow the use of faster tyres.
d) a battery powered (or rechargeable) handlebar front light fitted to a fork crown mount (google for others).

Fitting a light to a mount that's attached to the handlebar bag is not generally a good idea. The bag isn't rigid, and the light beam bounces around a lot, making pothole spotting hard. Fitting anything other than a light with a simple round torch beam upside down is also a no no.

A dynamo rear light should be wired to the front light if using a dynohub (most front lights have suitable terminals), or to the dynamo in parallel to the front light if you are using a sidewall dynamo and a light with no switch.
Alternatively, just use one of the multitude of battery/rechargeable rear lights. that are available The power consumption is low, so they last more than long enough.

Personally, I've gone for (c) with a dynamo rear light.
I like light just happening (mine's set on automatic), and can't be doing with the bother of recharging, taking lights off when parking, or making a decision about whether it will be dark by the time I get home or not.

Both (b) and (c) give plenty of light for unlit country lanes at a near normal riding speed (you slow down a bit more for sharper corners, as light doesn't go round them). I'd recommend the B+M Cyo or Cyo Premium (the latter has a considerably wider beam), but you budget may differ.
(d) depends on the light you get. Many are well into the obnoxiously dazzling category, such that I'd retaliate with main beam if I was in a car. The decent ones are those that meet the German STVZO regulations - bright without dazzling.

Last edited:
I have a good quality sidewall dynamo on my 1990s touring bike but is doesn't compare to the hub dynamo on my everyday bike. The Shimano hub is fit and forget. The LED arms race means that German standard dynamo lights of today are even better than my 2010 vintage B&M. Mounting point is on the fork bridge.

I used to use a battery rear but I wired up a rear lamp (Smart) under the luggage rack and this is fit and forget as well.

Tenkaykev

Guru
+1 for the dynamo wheel, especially at the Decathlon price mentioned above.
I've got the Cyo Premium Plus on my Brommie, it does have an Auto setting so that it comes on as the daylight fades, but I have it on permanently, I can't feel any noticeable drag.

Chris S

Legendary Member
If you just want to get noticed then buy a pair of silicone bike lights from Poundland (their other ones are rubbish). They're cheap, bright and the batteries last ages.

OP
OP
U

Uncle Jack

Thanks for the ideas so far. I have seen another thread on the same subject so I delve into that for more words of wisdom! I see the ALDI lights are back so hope there will be stock at the weekend when I have a chance to look.

BTW I have found why the dynamo / headlight was never fitted. I dug out the headlamp last week whilst giving the bike a once over. I offered it up to the boss on the fork crown and found that the bracket fouled on the straddle wire for the canti brakes! I will have to see if the machine shop at work could fashion a suitable spacer during a quiet time (COVID allowing)

Top Bottom