Lights for riding all night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
I'm going to ride the Dunwich Dynamo next year and was wondering what front light would last me all through the night.
I use a Cree T6 for night time riding at the moment but I'm not sure that the battery would last me that long.

What other light could I use? It must also be a 'to see' light

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Hope One lasts all night ok mostly on medium power with short spells on high.

SimonJKH

Blue collar cyclist
My cree T6 lasted the whole of last year's Dun Run, so you could stick with that. (Mine has proven unreliable since then, though, and has been replaced.)

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I've never used the two batteries I have but if I was doing any ride longer than 3-4 hours Id use my Cat Eye Volt 300 carry the second battery, it could be an option, a volt 300 with a spare battery or two.
I would recommend the volt 300 too. It lasts a decent time as is and a spare battery is easily carried. If you use a volt 50 rear as well then you're pretty well carrying a spare as they're interchangeable & the 50 draws a lot less power than the 300.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Busch & Muller Ixon IQ lasts 5 hours on full power, carry a second set of 4 AA batteries and that'll get you 10 hours of great lighting, or go for the newer Ixon IQ Premium and get twice the light output on the same battery usage.
Around £45 from the German suppliers for the standard version or around £55 for the premium version, a bit more if you need the charger as well, but most folk have a AA charger already.

So the Dun Run is about 7 hours of darkness, with a full moon (probably - date is not confirmed). I'd be inclined to time your light to see how long your current lights last, and then make a call. I did it a couple of years ago with a Moon XP500 and a spare battery, but I am pretty sure I eked out enough charge for the whole ride from one battery, by keeping it on the lower settings unless I was burning down hill.

A second light is probably a good choice, you can switch from one to the other when the battery runs out, and if something goes wrong with one, you won't be stranded in the middle of nowhere without a light.

manalog

Über Member
I'm going to ride the Dunwich Dynamo next year and was wondering what front light would last me all through the night.
I use a Cree T6 for night time riding at the moment but I'm not sure that the battery would last me that long.

What other light could I use? It must also be a 'to see' light
I have done 3 DDs, I used a T6 Flashlight with 18650 and a 3T6 Cree with a separate battery. I use the 3T6 whenever I get separated and I am on my own and I use the T6 Flashlight most of the time, this has 24 hour run time. The 3T6 is not necessary just use a Magicshine or equivalent as the minimum power is more than enough.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1613...3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XM-L...?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item3399bde99a

mattobrien

Guru
For this years Dun Run I used an Exposure Axis on medium power. It hit red on the battery gauge, but lit the way all night long. Battery is supposed to last for 6 hours on medium.

I used a secondary light to be seen with up to the point where I needed one to see with.

A number of other people I ride with have now blight the same light as it is rather good. Tired the cheap cree's but found the batteries not reliable.

Top Bottom