Lights for the winter commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ACS

Legendary Member
I have decided that a replacement set of lights are necessary for this year’s winters commute.

Last winter I used 2x Tesco 3 watt torches and while they provided sufficient light during the hours of darkness with clear conditions when the weather closed in and the roads where wet they did not inspire confidence. They are excellent for in town commuting but not really sufficiently powerful for the majority of my rural commute.

My commute of 10 miles, each way, is on unlit B class and single track roads (lots of pot holes, sheep and tractors) with approximately 1 mile of the journey being on yellow sodium lit roads. I also think that lights to be seen by in moderate to poor visibility during daylight hours are important so a flashing option is a supplementary requirement.

I have a budget of £200 and based on what I have read Ay-Ups (V Twin Sports kit) appear to fit the bill, unless someone with a far great knowledge can point me towards an alternative purchase ?

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
bought ayups last year as about 35km (70km both ways) of my commute is along unlit roads - they're great - what also attracted me to them is its easy and cheap to buy spares - the battery on my prevous cateye triple shot pro went after 2 years and I couldn't get a replacement. Ayups been much better

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Mr Summerdays uses them on unlit cycle paths/tracks and likes them. He does a 35 min commute each way and charges them up once a week. Small, slip into his pocket easily at the end of the journey, and you can adjust the angle of each light.

I use a Joystick2 from Exposure which is more than enough for general commuting. It is also fine for the occasional foray for a 18 mile night ride down my local disused railway line. Add the Red-eye micro rear light and you have a nice little setup.

Bill

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I'd have thought Ayups would produce less light than the 2x3 watt torches...?

Its not the watts its the light output in lux or lumens that counts. Some of the tesco torches were only about 40 lumens, fine for reasonably well lit cities but useless out on the lanes where you need around 200+.

My exposure Race struggled to light an unlit road last year and thats 240 lumens on max. It was cloudy, no moon out and no extra light available.

lpjr

I have 2 lights from deal extreme.......

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13732

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26800

Using the bottom one on low setting for lit roads and both on max power for the unlit country lane sections gives me plenty of light .Total cost including an extra mount of about £20 .

Small, light and cheap :biggrin: , or is that just me haha !
Hello, can you direct me towards a uk website for the cree lights. Or did you buy from the link website.
Cheers.

Norm

I use a Joystick2 from Exposure which is more than enough for general commuting. It is also fine for the occasional foray for a 18 mile night ride down my local disused railway line. Add the Red-eye micro rear light and you have a nice little setup.

Bill
I've also got a Joystick with a RedEye Micro, and I think they are fantastic. A popular alternative (as suggested, use the search) is the Hope Vision1. With a £200 budget, I'd get a Hope Vision1 (about £70 each) mounted on the bars and a Joystick/RedEye Micro mounted on a headband. There is little to beat a decent head torch when riding at night.

Top Bottom