Lights for winter :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lee1980sim

I've been using the RSP icon light set for 3+ years not had a problem with them and seem plenty bright enough, even when the council decides to switch off the street lights

Last edited:
I'd second or is that fifth the volt 300. I bought it last year with a spare battery (liked that feature, replaceable battery, and that it was a compact unit which according to the Road.cc beam tests was very bright). Tbh I never used the spare battery as I used it for sub 3hour fast pack training rides in its first year. Expected the battery to have had lost some life but still never found it running short on solo dark commutes on country lanes up to 2hours and it has been perfect for that.

huwsparky

Über Member
I have a moon xp1500. On full power you ride in daylight, in low setting you ride all night. Been used throughout winter with no issues. Don't know if it's on offer anywhere but worth a look.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Another vote for the Moon 500, it is my 'go to' light for reliability and as a high output backup to my main lights.

Battery life is not great but if you've a relatively short commute it will be fine.
I've been using a Moon X-Power 500 for years now on every pre-dawn commute to work, on full brightness. The commute is a bit over an hour, but the light stays on full brightness for the commute. I then plug it into the work PC to recharge. They're very reliable, too.

G-Zero

Über Member
Magic shine MJ 872 - 1600 lumens - bought mine 3.5 years ago and it's been superb. Mostly used on its lowest setting, even on unlit roads, but occasionally gets switched on to mid setting for short stretches of road.

A single charge usually sees me through a week of commuting, each run being a minimum of 45 minutes, but I usually extend that on the way in to work.

The only problem I found with mine was the cheap plastic parts of the frame mounting kit, but I now have the battery contained in a chopped down water bottle in my front bottle cage.

There has been no drop off in the battery performance, despite the many charges over the years.

I think there may be a newer model available, which will be worth considering if it's anything like the older one.

Top Bottom