Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I'm inclined to agree, magicshines are quite possibly the best on road and offroad lights, but don't use them on a segregated cyclepath, you'll be threatened by every cyclist that is cycling towards you... :ohmy:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I also think the magicshines are very good, although from what I understand the claimed 1400 lumens is more like 700. I'd still buy one though...

Origamist

Legendary Member
I think you rode past me a couple of weeks ago, you're on a charge fixie? What are your rear lights, they're eye-wateringly bright?

Yes, could well have been me given your location.

They're two 3w red leds housed in torches. I ordered one from DX (Cree), the other was a bespoke job (Osram) from the US. I have to diffuse/obscure both when riding. I usually have one on steady, one flashing.

scouserinlondon

Yes, could well have been me given your location.

They're two 3w red leds housed in torches. I ordered one from DX (Cree), the other was a bespoke job (Osram) from the US. I have to diffuse/obscure both when riding. I usually have one on steady, one flashing.

Well if it was you, then they're farking bright but not off puttingly so.

tbtb

Smart Lunar R1 (1 Watt, not 1/2!) rear led now £12.99 fromPlanet X (incl postage).

I'm not sure I agree with OP that there's no middle ground for quality / price. Bike lights are now so much better than they've ever been.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
The Smart rear light I have has been fantastic - A bit of Duck tape around the bracket solves the problem of it flying off. I have left the lights on the bike whilst going around trail centres so a pretty good test. Never been happy with any of my front lights - they have been all been "be seen" rather than "see" lights. Just can't afford the kind of money a "See" light costs.

sabian92

Über Member
I use these - they're not too bad, the back one is bright but the front one is basically just a "don't hit me head on" type light. It's a pretty decent torch though when I'm faffing around at night in bed and i've dropped something.

I only paid 14 quid for them and they were supposed to be 30 so for the price I paid I can't say I'm unhappy with them. I run them day and night - I actually had a fella on a bike chase me down a bike path to tell me it was on (in the middle of the day, as well), because he thought I'd left it on! Glad he did actually, means people can see them!

Lighting is not necessarily cheap.

I bought an Exposure Joystick some years ago and it has been fantastic, I also have one on their Enduro Maxx for unlit roads a t night, but the downside is thatthey are limited to battery life. This can be extended with power packs, but this is additional costs.

My "emergency" lights for when I am late and performing unplanned night rides are the Flash / Flare combo

I like Exposure because they have unfailingly been supportive (one failed charger and one failed battery) with immediate no hassle repleacements.

I also like the contained design with no cables.

scouserinlondon

@tbtb thanks for the link. I've ordered one.

My blackburn mars 4.0 has just packed up after about 18 months service. Blackburn claim to have a lifetime guarantee so I emailed them who asked me to email Madison. Who fobbed me off and asked me to take it to the store i bought it from.

I've lost my proof of purchase but fair play to Joe at Evans Cycles in Clapham, he took it back and said he'll post it to Madison and lets see what happens.

TBH, if Blackburn offer a lifetime guarentee then I should get it back but I don't hold out a lot of hope tbh. I'll let you know.

IF if get the blackburn replaced then it'll work with the Smart, if not then my Cateye LD600 won't be quite going into retirement yet.

Norm

Lighting is not necessarily cheap.

I bought an Exposure Joystick some years ago and it has been fantastic, I also have one on their Enduro Maxx for unlit roads a t night, but the downside is thatthey are limited to battery life. This can be extended with power packs, but this is additional costs.

My "emergency" lights for when I am late and performing unplanned night rides are the Flash / Flare combo

I like Exposure because they have unfailingly been supportive (one failed charger and one failed battery) with immediate no hassle repleacements.

I also like the contained design with no cables.
Wow... I have exactly the same set up! I've also got a Red Eye Micro to use with the Joystick, which I use on the headband, and a couple of the Smart 1/2 watts which I use with panniers (mostly because I already had them before I bought the Flash / Flare set). Oh, a couple of Knog Frogs front and back on the helmet.

The Flash and Flare I have lit all the time I'm riding, day or night, except in very bright sunlight.

yashicamat

The Hope Vision 1 is the best 'commuter light' just about available. It's also mad bright if you need to turn up to 3/4 for off road.

Buy two....:biggrin:

I'd suggest buying a Hope Vision 2 instead - almost exactly twice the price, but the unit is a better design (it gives plenty of warning of low batteries, unlike the Vision 1 which just dies, unless they've changed it) plus you get a decent Lithium Ion rechargeable battery (and charger) with it which gives plenty of battery life (I get about 6 hours of use out of mine, that's usually sitting on setting two, but then flicking up to 3/4 for the unlit lanes at speed). Very well made light unit - just a shame that Hope lights are a bit of a faff to remove from the bike.

As for rear lights I use a Mars 4.0 on my roadie (a friend commented today how visible it was in daylight too - I have it flashing when on rural A-roads almost always, just for the extra visiblity) and a Smart 0.5W on my commuting bike. The Smart is great value at about £12 and is very bright and reliable (at least my two have been so far).

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The latest light set in Wilkinsons is a 'Torch' brand 1/2W front and back pair (rear looks identical to the smart polaris light). They are very good be seen lights for £7 (for the pair). I used the rear on the FNRttC last week and it was nice & bright. Come with a seat-stay mount as well.

Top Bottom