Lightweight, breathable, waterproof?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Only been seriously commuting about six months now, and when it's wet I've been wearing the following combo:

Long sleeve wicking layer
Altura Night Vision Jacket
Hiking leggings
Gore overtrousers

But now it's getting warmer, I'm finding this combination a bit too bulky and hot.

I've got some other outdoorsy and cycle-friendly clothes I can wear when it's warmer, however they aren't waterproof. I think I can ditch the leggings (although the gore trous feel a bit weird against the skin) but it's my top half that seems to be overheating.

So can anyone recommend a lightweight, breathable AND fairly waterproof top? Oh, and that isn't too expensive is a plus!

I have a cheap Karrimor top which is lightweight and waterproof, however is NOT breathable at all!

Perhaps I should just man up and get wet?

balzer69

This dhb eVENT jacket is very breathable, waterproof, yet cheaper than the Gore paclite jackets. On the downside it cant fold down small enough to get into a back pocket. However it has lived up to expectations and is presently a good price.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Cheers, however I think that jacket may be a bit too warm for my needs. And a little pricey!

Being able to pack it down isn't really an issue.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Thanks also.

I'm perhaps just being presumptious here, but when I look at jackets like the two mentioned, I see jackets that look similar to mine, and thus think they are going to be quite warm. I feel like I'm expecting to see something that looks like a waterproof long sleeved tshirt rather than a jacket.

I am of course willing to accept that I am wrong about this, but are these jackets really suitable for possibly quite hot and yet rainy weather? Are they actually quite cool compared to my NightVision jacket?

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
I'm also open to the possibility that it's my NikePro base layer that's the source of my overheating rather than the jacket...

gouldina

Jezston said:
Thanks also.

I'm perhaps just being presumptious here, but when I look at jackets like the two mentioned, I see jackets that look similar to mine, and thus think they are going to be quite warm. I feel like I'm expecting to see something that looks like a waterproof long sleeved tshirt rather than a jacket.

I am of course willing to accept that I am wrong about this, but are these jackets really suitable for possibly quite hot and yet rainy weather? Are they actually quite cool compared to my NightVision jacket?

I imagine those jackets are more breathable than the one you have but saying that, I don't think any jacket is breathable enough to keep you cool on a hot rainy day. I tend to keep my jacket in my bag on days like this and only use it if it's hammering down.

gouldina

Jezston said:
I'm also open to the possibility that it's my NikePro base layer that's the source of my overheating rather than the jacket...

Could well be. In spring I tend to wear short-sleeve cycling tops or just t-shirts underneath a jacket.

Just done three hours wearing my new altura pocket rocket jacket (paid £51 from primera) with it chucking down, bone dry underneath. Very light and seemed to breath ok.

GrahamG

Guru
Unless your journey is more than 20-30 minutes I find it's just not worth having a posh waterproof. If warm and peeing down just wear a boil in the bag if it's less pleasant than a soaking, rain legs are superb for the bottom half. It really doesn't rain so much that you need to wear a waterproof everyday - save them for when it's pissing down as drizzle/light rain isn't worth the bother/sweat.

Top Bottom