lightweight rain top

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
A few people recommended a particular make on here a month or so ago but I can't find the thread. I'm looking for one that rolls up pretty small as I have bulkier versions(Altura Crosslight)

It might of been the Montane Featherlite

I have one of these rich and I can vouch for their ability to leave you soaked on days like today. Windproof or remove the chill on a descent, yes. A bit of nuisance drizzle...also yes. For the tipping down stuff like today - don't bother. Tonight's task is to sort out something light but tight (no not abitrary again) as in for "Summer"/ Autumn use. Otherwise I have an Altura Night Vision which is not bad but too warm for temperate times. (Although it's going on if it is raining tomorrow:wacko: )

It is tennis ball size though - so neat in that respect...an ideal present!

Tynan

Veteran
rode all day in bib shorts and my lightest SS top, it barely gets wet at all there's that little of it, unless the wet threatens to make me cold I can't be bothered with waterproofs anymore

*thumps chest*

Nightvision for the coldest days, perhaps the Dun Run, I dare say longer rides are a different kettle of fish

Danny

Legendary Member
I've got an Altura Velocity last year which has kept me dry in some fairly major downpours, seems to be reasonably breathable, and packs up small.

If I'd had more money at the time I'd have gone for a Gore Paclite - though I think it may have been superseded by a different design.

monnet

Guru
I've got a Pearl Izumi Optik - folds down very small (I almost always take it with me in the back pocket), weighs next to nothing. It's windproof,nice fit and shower proof. Not a great one for days when it's really chucking it down but good to have in the back pocket to get home dryish and keep the wind off.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'm wearing the dhb Amberley - don't bother in this weather[1], it's far too warm (good once it gets proper cold though).

[1] I'm disregarding my own advice in the interest of keeping the bandage on my elbow dry.

Moonlight

10 quid job from Aldi =D, works great for me, water and windproof (tested) =]
and it packs up gurt small.

Chris James

Über Member
I pack a pertex in summer. However, it can get pretty chilly up on the moors if it rains a lot as they are, at best, showerproof and still fairly warm.

A gilet is good if it might just spit a bit or a brief shower.

yogi

I've found that I never use a full waterproof top, I just get too hot even with a really lightweight one. A few years ago I bought a Cannondale Morphis and I use it all the time (in cool conditions) primarily in it's gilet form and just zip the sleeves on when it's p'ing down. I must admit that it doesn't fold up as small as some jackets but then if you're already wearing the gilet part it's not a problem. I've certainly had much more use out of it than any other jacket I've owned.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15147

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
yep I`ve come to the conclusion in summer that if its raining don`t even bother with water proof gear, waste of time. As long as I have a windproof layer on thats all im bothered about.

jashburnham

Montane Velo - kept me warm and dry on this years wet Etape, plus folds up small enought to fit in Jersey Pocket or saddle bag. I would have frozen on the descents without it. Highly recommended.

Top Bottom