Lightweight & Small Occasional Lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Whatever you get, check you can't pull it apart or that pedalling the bike (if it's through the wheel) won't snap it. We lost a borrowed bike to a chunky-looking combination lock (lent with the bike) that appeared to be simply pulled apart and when we looked at the shop's website, they themselves rated it 3 out of 10 for security - why even sell shoot like that!??!

I have a Yale alarmed combination lock like https://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk...s/travel-padlocks/yr1-retractable-cable-lock/ with an alarm but I wouldn't recommend it because it is too easy to tangle the cable inside the reel by pulling the cable when the release isn't fully pressed.

Tom B

Guru
That's really interesting!

You can guarantee (Sods Law) that there will be comfort issues, so it will depend on how far you plan to ride. I'd certainly consider it for short shopping trips :smile:

I regularly do 12mile round trips with it and have strayed as far as 20mile each way commutes.

To be honest I forget it's on. You can also wear it over the shoulder.

The clips on top of the two parts of the lock arnt much good but generally do stay together the s shaped clip is the thing that makes it. As with most good solutions it's painfully simple. The lock is some bizzare crescent shaped key, but works.

I was originally looking at litelock/hiplock wearable locks but being a skinny little runt with a 30" waist they're

A) short
B) expensive
C) have questionable security certainly bang for buck.

I also have

An Abus bordo 6000 folding lock. It's good. It's heavy. It's short and won't go around the bike and a lampost. I take this if I'm going shopping in a higher risk area or need to look the bike up at a train station etc. (I got this from Halfords when it was 50% due to damaged packaging) this has a frame mount via bottle mount screws, but because I current have a child carrier covering one bottle I don't use this so can't comment on it.

A 5mtr cable lock. Handy for the roof rack and car boot camping.

A collection of shorter Cables

A collection of bulldog and Kryptonite Dlocks both full sized and mini used in conjunction with the above cables. On campsites I stick a dlock through the alloy wheel and loop the long cable through the bikes and gas bottle. People usually think I've been clamped.

A huge diameter combo lock I use in the bike shed at work.

I also have security skewers on the wheels.

The only locks I ever take out are the Bordo and Hiplock pop.

When my lad started nursery and I needed to drop him off I bought one of these (from TredZ)

https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/kryp...61fZd_jh-gPr0i1vmya_sw0b3WnMqsgBoCM_8QAvD_BwE

It felt like it was made of old recycled cheap cd jewel cases and gently tugging on the wire caused the case to separate slightly. It lasted 2days before jamming and being sent back. Tredz refunded without hassle and have since delisted it.

byegad

Legendary Member
I have one of these for café stops.
Targus Defcon1
No key to carry, very light and will fit in a jersey pocket.
View attachment 530476
I once saw 2 trek madones locked to railings outside Suggit's in Great Ayton with one of those. Any wire cutter will slice through the cable in 1 second. The riders were at the counter and anyone knowing the place could have been lurking, and snagged themselves two nice bikes.

Last edited:
If you carry any sort of bag OP, there is this - not high security (and not promoted as) but good for generally insight stops - and better than one of those things securing your bike with fishing line.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-bike-d-lock-black-id_8342034.html

I have a similar one, slightly lower security I got in a Decathlon sale for about £4 - I generally use it for securing a front wheel in town when using a heavy D lock through the rear triangle.

Top Bottom