Lightweight & Small Occasional Lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Cafe lock or a small cable assuming the bike will be in clear view. Make sure you lock it to something immovable

removing the seatpost and saddle is also a good deterrent :okay:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I carry two locks: One of those retractable cable thingies - About as big as a fag packet. And a small cable lock coiled round the seat post.

May slightly slow down an experienced thief, or (as you say) deter an opportunist. I only use them for when I pop into a shop and even then I try not to leave the bike out of my sight for more than a few seconds at a time.

OP
OP
VeganWheels

VeganWheels

Been looking at the HipLok Z Lok with is a bit like a lockable cable tie ,anyone had any experience of these at all please?
My under saddle bag is a bag as I want to go & since Fat Lads At The Back started decreasing the size of the zip pocket on their gear my iphone now has to go in the saddle bag,not leaving much space for anything else

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I have one of these for café stops.
Targus Defcon1
No key to carry, very light and will fit in a jersey pocket.

I have a hiplock POP which ticks a few boxes for me. Wearable of a fashion too.

https://www.merlincycles.com/hiplok-pop-wearable-cable-lock-87475.html

It's a cable lock so has its limits. It appears somewhat better than the cafe locks and poundshop or supermarket cable locks.
That's really interesting!

You can guarantee (Sods Law) that there will be comfort issues, so it will depend on how far you plan to ride. I'd certainly consider it for short shopping trips :smile:

Tenkaykev

Guru
I'd recommend taking a look at " Lock picking Lawyer" YouTube channel. Whilst not bike lock specific there are several bike locks featured.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'd recommend taking a look at " Lock picking Lawyer" YouTube channel. Whilst not bike lock specific there are several bike locks featured.
I've seen some of his videos. They are fascinating.

But for a lightweight cafe lock, no such skills are required. Just a pair of bolt cutters.

Top Bottom