Lionheart Road Race - Somerset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LauraTC79

Hi

My sister-in-law is trying to talk me into completing the Lionheart road race in Somerset with her. I wondered if anyone had done this and could give me an honest opinion of how tough it is (given that I live in a very flat Suffolk)!

I think she wants to do the 60 mile challenge (assume there are other distances).

Laura

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I did the Lionheart sportive a few years ago, had about 1700ft of climbing, and lots of muddy wet roads. Things may be different now but that's how it was, mostly enjoyable.

Huff n Puff

The climb up to the Tower (King Alfred's ???) gets a bit steep near the end, but most of the rest is quite manageable. That said, they changed the route a bit in 2014 and there was a bit of a short steep one at some point that I didn't remember from previous years. it's probably hillier than the roads you use in Suffolk, but it always seems to me that the wind in flat areas like the East always seems to make up for the lack of climbing.

I've done the long one twice plus they cut the route in 2013 due to bad weather, so a short version once. The longer version isn't much harder.

You'll be fine!

Top Bottom