Lions Squad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Here we go:
Full squad
Forwards: Rory Best (Ireland), Dan Cole (England), Taulupe Faletau (Wales), Tadhg Furlong (Ireland), Jamie George (England), Iain Henderson (Ireland), Maro Itoje (England), Alun Wyn Jones (Wales), George Kruis (England), Courtney Lawes (England), Joe Marler (England), Jack McGrath (Ireland), Ross Moriarty (Wales), Sean O'Brien (Ireland), Peter O'Mahony (Ireland), Ken Owens (Wales), Kyle Sinckler (England), CJ Stander (Ireland), Justin Tipuric (Wales), Billy Vunipola (England), Mako Vunipola (England), Sam Warburton (Wales)

Backs: Dan Biggar (Wales), Elliot Daly (England), Jonathan Davies (Wales), Owen Farrell (England), Leigh Halfpenny (Wales), Robbie Henshaw (Ireland), Stuart Hogg (Scotland), Jonathan Joseph (England), Conor Murray (Ireland), George North (Wales), Jack Nowell (England), Jared Payne (Ireland), Jonathan Sexton (Ireland), Tommy Seymour (Scotland), Ben Te'o (England), Anthony Watson (England), Rhys Webb (Wales), Liam Williams (Wales), Ben Youngs (England)

Dylan Hartley, Joe Launchbury and the Grey brothers miss out. Ross Moriarty, Kyle Sinckler and Jarad Payne are perhaps the 3 that people would not have expected to see.

darrensmith0410

The mind boggles at why Launchbury and Stander were not included :wacko:

OP
OP
rugby bloke

rugby bloke

Veteran
Stander is included .... Launchbury was unfortunate to be playing in the most competitive position in the squad. Probably edged out by Henderson's performance in the Ireland v England game.
Glad to see JJ included, I had seen talk that he would not make the trip.
I reckon there will be a few players booking a holiday to NZ or Oz, just to be in the right part of the world in case anyone needs to be replaced mid tour ...

MikeG

Guru
Launchbury? That's a crazy omission. Also crazy is the inclusion of so many Welshmen in a year in which they came 5th out of 6 in the 6N.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Scotland get two. Yet they beat Wales and Ireland no?

This crew, and their woeful captain, won't give the All Blacks any sleepless nights. Assuming we still have 20 odd to field by the time the first test comes around given how stupid the schedule is....

OP
OP
rugby bloke

rugby bloke

Veteran
So the fun and games - pick a starting 15:
Vunipoloa M
Best
Furlong
Henderson
Itoje
Warburtton
O'Mahony
Vunipola B
Murray
Sexton
North
Henderson
Joseph
Nowell
Hogg

Milkfloat

An Peanut
So the fun and games - pick a starting 15:
Vunipoloa M
Best
Furlong
Henderson
Itoje
Warburtton
O'Mahony
Vunipola B
Murray
Sexton
North
Henderson
Joseph
Nowell
Hogg

A wise pick - but they maybe better off playing Daly as they will struggle to get out their own half and he has good kick on him.

Launchbury probably the most unlucky to miss out.

Faletau and Biggar probably the least deserved picks.

OP
OP
rugby bloke

rugby bloke

Veteran
Which one? The inept lazy donkey from the first 3 or 4 games, or the zestful powerhouse from the last couple? I wouldn't have picked him in the squad, personally.
Having watched North at the Gardens over the last few seasons I still believe he is a quality player. As a Saints fan I have to say that he has been woefully under utilised when playing for Northampton. Poor quality, slow ball has meant he has never had the space and actually do anything. The few times he has been put into space he has always shown his class. Unfortunately his club form also impacted his form for Wales but I think we are starting to see his true quality again.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Scotland are 5th in the IRB world rankings and get two places, yet Wales are 8th and get 12 places, something doesn't add up.

MikeG

Guru
Scotland are 5th in the IRB world rankings and get two places, yet Wales are 8th and get 12 places, something doesn't add up.

You might just take a sneaky little peak at where the Lions coach was coaching prior to taking on the job. Not that he'd be biased or anything. Oh no. No sir-ree. Not a bit of it.

Top Bottom