1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lipograms

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Pete, 29 Jan 2008.

1. Pete

Pete Guest

Following the surprising 'success' (:smile:) of the "no 'n's" thread, and Arch's 'n'-only rejoinder (can't say I understand it, mind!), I thought folks might be interested in large-scale lipograms (text which completely omits a certain letter or letters). There are two famous examples, both of which entirely lack the letter 'e':
    Gadsby by Ernest Vincent Wright, written about 1938, and:
    A Void (originally published in French as La Disparition), written 1969 by Georges Perec. The English translation preserves the rule of no 'e's.

Both books appear to be out-of-print, but Gadsby can be read on-line. It is not a particularly good novel, but interesting.
    A Void, apparently not on-line, and hard to get: I have tried for some years, but not yet managed, to secure a copy. It is supposed to be incomparably better than Gadsby. One I would like to read some time: I have only seen extracts.

2. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

I once wrote a long post without using the letter 'Z' a single time.

3. PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim New Member

To anybody interested in this, I can heartily recommend 'Ella Minnow Pea' by Mark Dunn. As well as being a touching, beautifully written novel, it also contains a great wealth of lipograms.

It's a lovely book. Read it read it read it!

4. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Err...Why?

5. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

It says, "Now, I thought there ought to be a thread with only n in it" But said all in n's.

I have to say, the lipogram thing certainly makes you think, and for that reason, can make you quite creative - like fridge poetry - I'd never write a poem normally, but when restricted to only certain words, it became a challenge and I would really work at it.

I don't have the tiles up at the moment, as my fridge is an under-counter one, and I don't want to give myself a bad back.

6. Ploetry