Liquigas leave AIGCP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

This is such a retrograde move ! -

Liquigas are quitting the International Association of Professional Cycling Groups after being criticised for signing banned rider Ivan Basso.

More StoriesBasso confident of returing to top
"On account of the difference of opinion that has come out during the last weeks Liquigas has decided to abandon AIGCP," the team said.

The AIGCP are an association of 26 professional teams who defend their own interests in the sport.

Credit Agricole manager Roger Legeay said Liquigas should not have signed Basso under the rules of the code of conduct the professional teams signed in 2004.

Former Giro d'Italia winner Basso was banned for two years in 2006 after being implicated in the Operation Puerto blood doping scandal in Spain.

The 30-year-old, who signed a two-year deal with Liquigas on Thursday, can race again in October but under the AIGCP's code of conduct he should not be able to ride for a ProTour team before 2010.

Under its regulations a rider who has been convicted of a doping offence cannot sign a contract with a ProTour outfit (one of the top 18 professional teams) for four years after the offence.

"He should not be hired by Liquigas. It is an ethical problem that will not do any good to the reputation of cycling," said Legeay.

The Operation Puerto affair broke in May 2006 after police raids in Madrid and Zaragoza found large quantities of anabolic steroids, blood-transfusion equipment and more than 200 bags of blood.

Reuters

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/26042008/58/liquigas-leave-aigcp.html

mondobongo

Über Member
I was initially yeah give Basso a chance but have become more sceptical as the story broke of Liquigas pulling out of the AIGCP. Liquigas must have been well aware of the agreement and the situation they would face for signing Basso so why did they do it.

As Yenners says its a bad move basically do what you want and then pull out of the trade body when you are questioned or your actions are described as unethical. This will lead to Anarchy within and criticism from outside that we are all doping once again.

Liquigas are probably going to face serous grief from Prudhomme and ASO into the bargain.

Dark days for cycling once again.

Keith Oates

Janner
I don't think McQuaid is 'soft on druggies' now, although I agree the UCI did take a while to get some movement into the testing etc.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith Oates

Janner
I think that keeping Basso out for four years equates to a lifetime ban as he would not be able to come back after such a long time out of racing. If that's the way to go then everyone must know this in advance but it should not apply to riders who were 'caught out' before the rule was made IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mondobongo

Über Member
Keith from what I understand this Code of Ethics was in force prior to Basso to being banned therefore he is subject to not signing for a Pro Tour Team for 4 years or 2 years after his ban ends. Funnily enough another Team pulled out of AIGCP in 2007 want to hazard a guess at who it was?

The situation is not good at all we are on our way to a very slippery slope we need the UCI and Race Organisers to get united on at least this point quickly and introduce tough sanctions for breaches.

Keith Oates

Janner
mondobongo said:
Keith from what I understand this Code of Ethics was in force prior to Basso to being banned therefore he is subject to not signing for a Pro Tour Team for 4 years or 2 years after his ban ends. Funnily enough another Team pulled out of AIGCP in 2007 want to hazard a guess at who it was?

The situation is not good at all we are on our way to a very slippery slope we need the UCI and Race Organisers to get united on at least this point quickly and introduce tough sanctions for breaches.

You're correct that the code of ethics was in force when he was finally banned and I suppose I'm splitting hairs a little but his 'intention to use the blood' was before that IIRC.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mac66

Oh dear. Soon we'll have the peoples popular front for cycling, the cycling popular front, the front for popular cycling....
and so cycling tears itself apart even more depending on which set of ethics teams agree with and which body is running the event.

Some one give them a good slap. Kids the lot of 'em.

Top Bottom