listening to music whilst cycling???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It seems odd that as a car driver that there is nothing wrong with turning up the music whilst driving and not even able to hear a fire engine with siren blaring go past.
If another car decided to hit me at this point the local press would not report it as "motorist collision and one car driver was listening to music whilst driving". So why do cyclists get stick when listening to music.

Once all radios etc are removed from vehicles then I might take some criticism about cycling whilst listening to music.

Francesca

if Iam on the road I only have one earpiece in - but off road I use both earpieces.

Norm

It seems odd that as a car driver that there is nothing wrong with turning up the music whilst driving and not even able to hear a fire engine with siren blaring go past.
Do you drive a car and, if so, when was the last time somebody overtook you?

Reactions: gaz

rollinstok

A definite no. You need to be 100% alert to all the idiots out there. Take your i pod with you..cycle to a nice spot in the country..take your butty box and flask out..put your earphones in..take them out again for the ride back.

Zaphod

I listen to music because I feel that I can do so safely without putting myself in danger; I don't have it so loud as to drown out the noise of the cars, but loud enough to motivate me.. but if I think I can't pay attention to the road properly I'll stop. Simple! :smile:

rollinstok

I listen to music because I feel that I can do so safely without putting myself in danger; I don't have it so loud as to drown out the noise of the cars, but loud enough to motivate me.. but if I think I can't pay attention to the road properly I'll stop. Simple! :smile:

I know exactly how you feel, but I could say something like this... " I dont close my eyes completely.. I can still see shades of light and dark". Please believe me when I say there are lunatics who just dont see you out there..you need to be 100% aware..from the left, right, rear and front.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Being aware doesn't make the idiots not hit you.

I usually don't cycle with headphones in, but sometimes I do, usually with talk radio on reasonably low. I finished my first 200km with the Eurovision song contest playing in my left ear. I find that I get less wind roar with a phone in when it's really windy as well.

What I would ask is, if you are relying on sound to warn you of vehicles approaching from behind, are you actually looking behind often enough?

Zaphod

I know exactly how you feel, but I could say something like this... " I dont close my eyes completely.. I can still see shades of light and dark". Please believe me when I say there are lunatics who just dont see you out there..you need to be 100% aware..from the left, right, rear and front.
I see your point entirely, but it's very very rare that I cycle along busy roads, even rarer that I do so in the dark.. having said that I've not been on my bike since November! :blush:

cyclegeek

It's a no from me for the simple reason that I wouldn't be comfortable with the distraction.

sushi_jones

Regular
I absolutely love listening to music but I'd never do it whilst cycling. I used to when I was a youngster and rode on the pavements.

Removing the ability to hear is losing one of the most importants senses required when cycling. Just being able to hear a car approaching from behind makes you aware of their presence.

Croydonian

Really, the wind noise out there cancels a lot of my (now not much remaining) hearing. Headphones would not make much difference.

To ride a Bicycle in traffic, you do need all your wits about you; but I think it amusing that car drivers can smoke (some pretty fierce stuff at times), eat, drink, chat with passengers, shout at children, listen to tapes, cds and radios and have telephone conversations (all perfectly legally) not to mention the illegal use of handheld mobiles; yet we (cyclists) are to be told that we are at fault if we wear a headphone and listen to music or radio whilst cycling? Come on now. Something must be wrong in the world.

rollinstok

Really, the wind noise out there cancels a lot of my (now not much remaining) hearing. Headphones would not make much difference.

To ride a Bicycle in traffic, you do need all your wits about you; but I think it amusing that car drivers can smoke (some pretty fierce stuff at times), eat, drink, chat with passengers, shout at children, listen to tapes, cds and radios and have telephone conversations (all perfectly legally) not to mention the illegal use of handheld mobiles; yet we (cyclists) are to be told that we are at fault if we wear a headphone and listen to music or radio whilst cycling? Come on now. Something must be wrong in the world.

The big difference is that the car driver ( and his passengers ) are strapped into a steel tin with airbags and crumple zones. The cyclist is not.

jason swan

Regular
do it all the time, keeps me going but i do keep it down low and can still hear the traffic. Was out this morning an my battery went dead about 6 mile from home, between that , hills and head on winds it was a long 6 mile so ipod charged for tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom