Lithium Battery Replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm very ignorant about rechargeable batteries and need some advice. I have a rechargeable Lezyne 18650 Lithium ion 3.7V 2400mAh 2 Amp PROTECTED battery which is now 9.5 years old, bought in July 2012. It's a front light. The manufacture date stamped on the battery is 2011/10/18. Running time is now deteriorating and I only get +/- 4 hours run time which for winter daylight running is inadequate. It recharges via a USB port on the light.

Two questions please:
  • I have found this one which is 2600mAh - I don't know what mAh means or does. Would a higher mAh be OK? Lithium ion battery
  • Which brand is the best for this type of battery? Cost is not a factor as I want the best and most reliable. I paid £75 for this light, it's more than done its job
Thanks in advance

Cycleops

Legendary Member
mAh stands for milliampere hours and 2600 is the capacity, so it’s on a par with your old one. More is better.
No idea of what brands are best so perhaps someone else could advise.

Alex321

Veteran
So ,ong as it is the 18650, 3.7V, any mAh will be fine. As said above, the more the better.

The only real question is how durable it wil, be, whether it will last as long as the original.

Twilkes

Guru
I can think of another one... Will it catch fire when being recharged! :eek:

There is always a slight worry that unknown (or fake) brands of battery and/or charger might go up in flames, and those battery fires are scary!

As someone who was charging a Li-on battery at work when it popped and blew the fuse in the socket, I fully agree. No fire and it's probably quite rare but I've not used those type of batteries since!

I can think of another one... Will it catch fire when being recharged! :eek:

There is always a slight worry that unknown (or fake) brands of battery and/or charger might go up in flames, and those battery fires are scary!

RS, the company paul linked to, are very well known though - they sell electrical components to all sorts of industries - probably wouldn't sell dodgy stuff for a quick buck. Reputation/future sales to think of.

(maybe take care though - I did note that the precautions for the battery said not to leave unattended while charging and not to place on wood - which I would normally think fine as long as solid/not kindling. Nor on carpet. Not sure what you are supposed to sit the charger on - I'm still generally on older AA and AAA chemistry)

whyme

I've been looking for the same thing, the one listed should be fine, it is the correct dimensions, any PROTECTED 18650, 3.7V, any mAh (higher the better) will be fine, the non protected versions are shorter and will not fit. I would not be surprised if Lezyne did not comment (or specifically say it OK) as they will want you to buy a new product. I have not made a purchase yet as I have a second slightly younger and less used battery.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
RS, the company paul linked to, are very well known though - they sell electrical components to all sorts of industries - probably wouldn't sell dodgy stuff for a quick buck. Reputation/future sales to think of.

(maybe take care though - I did note that the precautions for the battery said not to leave unattended while charging and not to place on wood - which I would normally think fine as long as solid/not kindling. Nor on carpet. Not sure what you are supposed to sit the charger on - I'm still generally on older AA and AAA chemistry)
I dealt with RS a lot in the past and always found their stuff very good. Never bought batteries but mostly relays.

gbb

Legendary Member
Marlins would usually be my source for such stuff, I assume its sourcing would be reliable, ie you don't get dubious quality stuff.
mAhr ratings...tbf, you can replace the existing 2400 with any different sizes, the only difference would be,
Smaller rating ( lower than 2400) would discharge quicker but would charge quicker.
Higher rating (more than 2600) would discharge slower but take longer to charge.

Top Bottom