lithium grease

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drewc65

Just sorting shed and found a tube of lithium grease TF2 lubricant is this any good for chain. Any ideas ( none too kinky as wife may read this as well ) for other uses.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23692

It's great for things like headsets, wheel bearings, pedals and bottom brackets etc, but don't go near a chain with it.

A non-too-kinky enough reply for you?

Mile195

Veteran
No good for your chain, but perfect for everything else. I always use it on wheelbearings, on the lockring thread when putting a new cassette on, other threads such as pedals so they don't seize in place etc etc. It doesn't absorb water over time like Axle grease does, so it makes for a better protective barrier against the elements. You only need a tiny bit for most applications so hang on to it. That pot will probably last you years.

Sorry chaps/esses, but lithium grese is bobbins. Dries up and flakes away. Get some proper brown stuff and use that instead.

Really.

That explains why my BB was so unlubricated (any such word?) when I stripped it down after 6 to 12 months use. What brown stuff are you referring to exactly and presumably you have a preferred brand?
Hopefully not exposing the bike to that much weather will preserve the lithium stuff but if there is a better product we need to know about it.

Crankarm

Guru
That explains why my BB was so unlubricated (any such word?) when I stripped it down after 6 to 12 months use. What brown stuff are you referring to exactly and presumably you have a preferred brand?
Hopefully not exposing the bike to that much weather will preserve the lithium stuff but if there is a better product we need to know about it.

Copper slip.

D

Deleted member 23692

Grease for lubrication of moving parts, copper slip is to prevent siezure of a component in situ

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?

Beef dripping.

or something like

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/exus-e-g02-grease/rp-prod35283

Something coffee coloured like your dad used to use on hinges, kingpins etc:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-RANGE-AXLE-GREASE-/180473293217

go to a proper bike shop and they'll put you right.

Crankarm

Guru

Most bottom brackets are now sealed cartridges that you cannot dismantle or if Shimano Hollowtec 2 bearing shells that are also sealed. If bearings don't run smoothly and start rumbling or there is play you just have to replace. The bearing cups do not turn in the bottom bracket frame threads.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Marine bearing grease for the bottom bracket and the steering tube bearings, because they come into contact with water. I use white lithium for pedals and wheel bearings. The wheel bearings get redone and examined every so often, and marine bearing grease is a bit thick for them. I use the bluish green type, like in ships' stores. I also use white lithium as anti seize where aluminum and steel parts meet, such as a seat post.

Top Bottom