Little bit of advice for the newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyDev

Hi! I've got a spesh hard rock disc pro 2012 model at the minute and am just about to delve into the seemingly mind boggling world of upgrades and replacement of a few bits.I would like to replace the bottom bracket on it as it clicks under hard pedaling,got the old one out no probs and buying a replacement octilink unit is quite simple,But,I've noticed that one of the chainrings is bent so was thinking of replacing the chainset.Can anyone recommend a good mid range replacement for the 3 ring sr suntour xcr one that i've got?
Also wheels.Have been looking into replacing them but don't really understand whats what with the differing measurements,hole sizes,axle diameters etc that's out there,is there anyone who can explain it to me please.
Cheers.Andy.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I am unsure why you bought (or refer to) an Octalink bb if the current is square tapered (according to the spec here). Further Octalink bb of a particular spindle length only fits certain chainsets to deliver standard mtb chainline, and for mtbs it has to be an Octalink 2.

Anyhow decent square tapered bb's (such as the Shimano UN5x series ones) are generally more durable than Octalink and many others, though I am unsure what your objective for upgrade is, and it is often possible to straighten a bent chainring (if it is steel) with an adjustable spanner. In any case there are lots of compatible mtb chainsets available from e.g. here.

Having read a review of the bike here, if yours is the same it seems to me their upgrade suggestions are sensible. For forks the range of choice and performance is enormous, and highly dependent on how much you are willing to spend. For simplicity imho you are likely to get reasonable performance for the price sticking with Rockshox and Fox ones, and you should ensure it has compatible steerer diameter (1 1/8") and travel (80mm, and certainly not more than 100mm).

If you really want to replace the wheels a pair of Mavic Crossride (26", 6 bolt disc spec, for standard quick release unless new forks dictate otherwise) is a safe choice unless you want to spend more.

OP
OP
A

AndyDev

Thanks for the advice.Had a mooch around chain reactions web site and from what you say about the chainring I might try and tweek it straight.Dont know whats going on with the spesh web site but my bikes specs aren't quite on there.Its deffo got an octalink BB.And i've been eyeing up those crossrides they look nice,understated and not to bling! :smile:

Top Bottom