Liv Avail 3 - problem with rear wheel removal/refitting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RegG

Über Member
My daughter has a 2015 Liv Avail 3. She fitted some Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels a couple of months ago to replace the original Giant wheels which had a problem with spokes breaking on a regular basis. The Fulcrums seemed to go on fine the first time, but when she had a puncture recently and took the wheel out to repair it, she had a problem getting it back in. The wheel didn't want to slip easily into the drop outs and she had to virtually completely undo the QR and then tighten it up again, effectively squeezing the rear forks back together.

I had a look at it for her a couple of weeks ago and found it very difficult to put the wheel back in, although it came out reasonably easily.

We haven't had chance to take it into a Giant dealer yet, but another mainstream bikeshop had a look at it for her (when they replaced her bar tape) and agreed it was not right.

I have spoken to the shop we bought the bike from and they have said that it could be the Fulcrum wheels that are not suitable for the bike - they may have a smaller hub width?

I find this somewhat strange as I have changed the original wheels on my own Giant and my partners Liv without any problems. I always thought road wheels were of an industry standard specification when it comes to things like hub widths etc.

It will be a few days before we can get the bike into a Giant retailer, but does anyone on this forum have any ideas as to what the problem could be.

S-Express

I have spoken to the shop we bought the bike from and they have said that it could be the Fulcrum wheels that are not suitable for the bike - they may have a smaller hub width?

Unlikely, as the standard road OLN has not changed for many years. A couple of pics would help with clarity..

It's a new bike, they could be a bit tricky to begin with. Take the wheel out, and put it back a few times, see if it becomes easier. A different wheel is likely to be a very slight bit different from the original, so it may be a little more tricky to get back in the dropouts. As long as it goes in, you'll have to get used to it. As long as it's seating properly, and it's easy to centre it, no problem. Try lubing the QR skewers as well, especially if you start to get a creak.

If it doesn't fit now, it won't get easier later on, as was suggested. It isn't a pair of shoes that can change to accommodate the frame.
The Over Locknut Dimension (OLD) of the hub is difficult to measure. However, it is important to understand it. OLD is the width of the wheel between the two jamb nuts which are the nuts that connect with the inside of the frame. The OLN of the wheel should match the frame's width at that point.

I assume it is the rear wheel that's the problem.
For modern road bikes there are two rear wheel standards. 130mm for rim brake bikes and now, increasingly, 135mm for disc brake bikes. If the new wheel is a 130mm and the frame calls for 135mm, it would explain the difference.

As suggested, some pictures always help.

adscrim

Veteran
My daughter has a 2015 Liv Avail 3. She fitted some Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels a couple of months ago to replace the original Giant wheels which had a problem with spokes breaking on a regular basis. The Fulcrums seemed to go on fine the first time, but when she had a puncture recently and took the wheel out to repair it, she had a problem getting it back in. The wheel didn't want to slip easily into the drop outs and she had to virtually completely undo the QR and then tighten it up again, effectively squeezing the rear forks back together.

I had a look at it for her a couple of weeks ago and found it very difficult to put the wheel back in, although it came out reasonably easily.

We haven't had chance to take it into a Giant dealer yet, but another mainstream bikeshop had a look at it for her (when they replaced her bar tape) and agreed it was not right.

I find this somewhat strange as I have changed the original wheels on my own Giant and my partners Liv without any problems. I always thought road wheels were of an industry standard specification when it comes to things like hub widths etc.

It will be a few days before we can get the bike into a Giant retailer, but does anyone on this forum have any ideas as to what the problem could be.
Is the rear mech being moved to the far right/small end of the cassette before the wheel is being removed and refitted? I've got a couple of bikes where this makes a significant difference in the ease of removing and refitting the rear wheel.

OP
OP
RegG

RegG

Über Member
Thanks for all the replies. I will try to answer some of the questions posed.....

At the moment, I do not have any photos to post but will try to get some when I see my daughter at the weekend.

The wheel isn't buckled at all - runs perfectly straight.

It seems that the original Giant wheel was also a bu**er to get back in so I have suggested she takes the bike, the original wheel and the Fulcrum into the Giant store for them to have a look. However, having spoken to both the bike shop she got the bike from and the Giant retailer local to her, I have my doubts about their knowledge!

My well respected LBS has said that if the bike is a standard road bike (which it should be) then the rear wheel should be the standard 130mm which the Fulcrums are........

I will try adscrim's suggestion of making sure the rear mech is on the small end of the cassette but from memory I think I have already tried this.

vickster

Legendary Member
My Genesis rear wheel is a pain too, but to seat full stop. Last time @jefmcg and I had to pull the stays slightly apart and then it went in after much head scratching and frustration on my part, might be a quirk of the frame. Also needed to be on small cog.
Just a thought

Having the chain on the smallest cog should make things easier.

Just a thought is the rear mech hanger bent in (the one on my other halfs' Liv Avail was easily bent) or even not fitted correctly?

Top Bottom