Liverpool Chester Liverpool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

headcoat

Über Member
Has anyone done the Liverpool-Chester-Liverpool charity ride?

I have a couple of question before I enter for it.

I am thinking of doing the 90 mile trip, but want to do this more for the distance than a race, are there usually a good mix of people on this long ride?

Are the roads closed off?

Are there marshals directing you?

Probably more questions as I have never done a ride like this before, generally go out on my own or with friends.

Thanks

Globalti

Legendary Member
Can you link us to the ride website?

They close the Birkenhead tunnel but no roads are closed. Tunnel re-opens at 3pm. I'm thinking of entering the Liverpool - Chester one just to ride through the tunnel and then I'll amble home.

Shrim

I've signed up for this although i'm doing the 56 mile route. Never done it before but i've been told its fairly flat, this from someone who did it last year. Website shows a mix of riders so doesn't seem too serious.

Globalti

Legendary Member
That'll be your problem - the ride will consist of hundreds of unfit cyclists on unsuitable bikes with under inflated tyres, all wearing charity T shirts, bumbling along, weaving all over the road and piling up at the bottoms of the hills when they got off to walk. On top of that there will be conflict with stressed up drivers trying to get past them.

The only way not to get caught up in the mayhem is to be amongst the first off.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Hmmmmmm, Me thinks fixie and the 90 miler :whistle: Fancy this if i'm not doing anything

PaulB

Legendary Member
Done this several times. The joys are riding through the tunnels and the general flatness of the course. Don't worry about traffic either as there's not too much about and those that are tend to be very courteous.

The downside is parts of the route; some bits are off-road running alongside the railway line and on narrow tracks. This means some frustrating minutes stuck behind a few slowbies who look at anyone serious as though they are lepers.

All-in-all, its a good day out and shows you some of the best of the squirrel. Have a go.

OP
OP
headcoat

headcoat

Über Member
I know the railway and narrow tracks section well, I ride from capenhurst to chester almost every day on my commute and go along that way.

OP
OP
headcoat

headcoat

Über Member
Not sure which route the long one take, but on the 56 mile route, I have seen people on the 'off road' sections on road bikes, they pretty much comprise of sections of loose gravel areas (prob only about a mile of 'off road'). I am going to try the route out tomrrow :smile:

dodgy

I've done it loads of times, including the laughably titled 'sportive'. Usually quite a fun event, not to be taken too seriously. There will be lots of novices on rusty bikes with unoiled chains wobbling through the tunnel at the start, give them lots of room.

Also, they keep saying it's a 90mile sportive, IT IS NOT, it's 84miles (check it any way you want). I usually ride to the start through the tunnel early in the morning, and ride back through again at the end, that makes for 10 miles in total underground.

Contrary to the above, though the course is roughly flat, there are two hills on the 84 mile route that will easily break up a group. Specifically Primrose Lane to Alvanley, and another about 1 mile further on around the edge of Delamere Forest.

Not doing it this year, I'll be in France, but I would enter if I was here.

dodgy

How "off road" is it ? Trail off road or mud plugging ? Still do'able on a fixed with slicks

The local riders call that stretch through the farm as the "Missing Link", it's not that bad, I ride it roughly 5 times a week*. The cycleway alongside the railway could be busy if you don't get a move on through the Wirral countryside and arrive there with lots of novices/kids. Hopefully they'll have someone to hold the gates open.

* On either a titanium winter bike, or a carbon Dolan with carbon wheels.

Top Bottom