Liverpool Lime Street

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazhorn

Über Member
Hi folks,
There has been a new cycle path put in near Liverpool Lime Street station, which, dare I say it, is actually quite useful - a former one way street now with a bike path contraflow - it creates direct route for my dash to the station (five mins to get from work to the train 0.8 miles away) rather than going back up the hill and down to the station.
The new cycle path replaces an extension of the taxi rank but the taxis (and a few other parked cars) are still lining the length of the path (24/7) forcing any cyclists to cycle straight down the (narrow) one way into the line of oncoming traffic that is not expecting to see you. The Police walk down the street and do nothing.
Naturally, I've complained to the council highways department, but have had no response. Any ideas who else to complain to?
Cheers,
Jon

GrahamG

Guru
I'm presuming that Liverpool have decriminalised parking and therefore private firms provide the traffic wardens? I'm sure that they'd be more than happy to be told of the opportunity to hand out a load of tickets :blush:

GrahamG

Guru
Don't the council have a statutory duty to respond to letters/email/complaints etc. within a certain time? Check the city council's service charter or whatever they choose to call it and see if you can't speed the process up that way. They really need to know as it's a serious safety issue in that instance which needs enforcing.

OP
OP
B

Bazhorn

Über Member
Thanks for the info - will try and find out who provides the traffic wardens, and check out the council's service charter.
I don't know whether my emailed complaint was taken on board but today they were out re-painting and resurfacing the path in a more visible colour (bright red). Didn't stop people parking on it, even when the red ashphalt-y stuff was still runny and sticky!
Jon

yenrod

You cannot go up the side road Skelhorne st. which I found out to my near cost last week...like you used to be able to as Liverpool City Centre has had a road direction change in recent years....due to this capitol of culture rubbish...dont know where your talking of - are you referring to Lime St. itself...its pretty much car culture on that road for the short length that it is...though I'm surprised most dont check out http://www.liverpool.gov.uk/Images/St-Georges-Hall--in-the-eve_tcm21-58118.jpg still theirs a fairway to go to get the poor'me attitude out of Liverpool...which still exists in some parts...

Jonathan M

sheddy said:
Try Ken directly. I expect he will be on the media to promote this
http://www.londonfreewheel.com/ on the 23rd Sept

I'm not sure that the mayor of london is that arsed about a parking issue in Liverpool.

Hey,

I live in Liverpool and know the route that you refer to.

It's certainly dangerous.

I'm a habitual complainer about poor provision/poor enforcement in Liverpool (of which there seems to be a lot), especially where cyclist safety is clearly threatened.

My advice, for what it's worth:

1. Phone Liverpool Direct 233 3000 and ask to speak to parking enforcement. If you can specify the location and indicate that there are a lot of cars to be ticketed (i.e. lot of revenue to be collected). then they will probably direct the wardens to the site.

The downside is that you will have to persist, to get regular enforcement.

2. My next bit of advice is to contact highways management.
highways.management@liverpool.gov.uk

OR phone 233 3000 and ask to be put through to the cycle officer.

Encourage others to make the same complaint; once a few records are logged in a short space of time, from different complainants, the council has greater need to be seen to act.

3. Come to the cycle forum, and ask beforehand that this issue is disucssed during the meeting.
http://www.liverpool.gov.uk/Transpo...ay/Cycling_in_Liverpool/Cycle_forum/index.asp

Good luck.

Top Bottom