Liverpool suspending bus lanes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leodis

Veteran
I just watched the BBC report on this, cyclists got a single sentence and it was claimed by a driver that 99% of drivers are for this change, I just looked on the Liverpool Echo and this is the mass of information on how this will affect cyclists.

Cylclists, including former deputy leader of the council Derek Hatton, have warned that they fear people who use the lanes because they keep them a safe distance from lorries will be put at risk.

Is this the start of the end or will councils not stop a cash cow?

Your thoughts?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just south of Parkhills junction, on the A56 south of Bury, there's a "rush hours" restricted bus lane that suddenly becomes "all day" restricted. Bury Council have a little white car with a camera on the roof that sits on the verge between 10 am and 4 pm and goes click click click, that'll be sixty pounds please. What a scam.

OP
OP
Leodis

Leodis

Veteran
Leeds council earlier this year allowed black and white cabs to use bus lanes, since then I have left more threatened by them. These taxi drivers are thugs on the roads, they sneak up to within inches of my back wheel with a bus in front of me and cut me up in bus lanes a lot. I am only imagine how cyclists in Liverpool will now face a higher risk.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
My thoughts are its a backwards step, more caving into motorists. They even stated that its based on anecdotal evidence, ie Mike down the pub.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Well, another nail in the coffin for Liverpool... and even more reason for me to never visit again.
How are you going to promote more sustainable transport if you do not make that sustainable transport a better alternative, like being quicker in town than a car.

#sigh

When Derek Hatton is the lone voice of common sense, things are seriously ****ed up.

Blimey! That may be the first thing he's ever said I agree with.

The Mayor has led this I believe and I can't see how it fits in with the launch of Liverpool's hire bikes. Muddled thinking at best.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
More pressure on bus drivers can only be a bad thing as well, and with buses being held up further by private vehicles I can only see the number of bus users decreasing.

I sometimes take the bus on a Friday (if I have met my cycling commute target miles) and if it was not for the bus lanes in places it would be a nightmare, as enough private vehicles hold them up and don't let them out as it is (the bike takes about the same time as the bus).

When it is safe for me to do so I will always let a bus out ahead of me when I am on my bike, even if it means slowing down a little to let them out, and yet I see so much selfishness from other road users who won't let them out. :angry:

Kies

It won't work and Liverpool will grind to a halt. If you are a cyclist, please please be extra careful. Your nobber Mayor has just made riding more dangerous :-(

matthat

Über Member
It won't work and Liverpool will grind to a halt. If you are a cyclist, please please be extra careful. Your nobber Mayor has just made riding more dangerous :-(

If You know your way around then you can get around a lot of the outside of the city centre without going on major rds! Either using the loopline or the prom and parks but yes riding through the city centre will be a lot more treacherous minus the bus lanes, but also they're not always the best place to
be.

Top Bottom