Liverpool to Leeds canal ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sixmile

Veteran
Getting wet as in what, there is no path through or you get dripped on or like the humid Bath tunnels? Surely there are signposts to direct walkers / cyclists on the diversion in that case?

Jameshow

Veteran
Getting wet as in what, there is no path through or you get dripped on or like the humid Bath tunnels? Surely there are signposts to direct walkers / cyclists on the diversion in that case?

No paths, so you take a path over the hill in the case of foulridge.

Sorry I meant you'd need to swim lol Just me trying to be funny....

No paths, so you take a path over the hill in the case of foulridge.

There should signs but from memory that whilst Foulridge one was ok, Gannow wasn't and it crosses a very large roundabout and I got a bit lost first time so best to check.

Sixmile

Veteran
I think I've decided it'll be best the other way around ^_^

I reckon packing up my bike at home and flying with it to Leeds then building at the airport, ditching the packaging and riding to my friends place then to Liverpool ferry will be easier than getting the ferry to Liverpool, riding to Leeds then doing the packing at his place or the airport to then fly back.

I've flown to Edinburgh, Bournemouth, Bristol & Amsterdam airports and built my bike so I wouldn't envisage any issues finding a quiet spot in Leeds airport to do the same.

The funny thing about Leeds Airport is its so far away from Leeds its actually closer to the canal in the countryside than Leeds city! Though it might be cheating to start a few miles along it lol

Sixmile

Veteran
The funny thing about Leeds Airport is its so far away from Leeds its actually closer to the canal in the countryside than Leeds city! Though it might be cheating to start a few miles along it lol

From the airport I'll be riding to my friends house, spending at least a day there then going towards the canal so definitely will be a few extra miles added :tongue:

Sixmile

Veteran
I'd fly somewhere nice and warm, not Leeds !

I cycled in Tenerife last February, never again! Not my style of cycling at all.

Plus the flight to Leeds is £25 so a cheapy quick getaway which will be one of many this year.

Last edited:

Sixmile

Veteran
That's my lil weekend in June booked.

I'll fly from Belfast International to Leeds with my fat bike (or hybrid) on the Friday morning, ride to my mates house outside Leeds, stay with him and his family til Sunday am. Then I'll set off on the world renowned and respected Leeds to Liverpool canal, stopping somewhere half way ish for a sleep on Sunday night, then riding on to Liverpool on the Monday to catch a 5pm plane back to Belfast City Airport, then ride 15 miles home. Should be back for the news.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Then I'll set off on the world renowned and respected Leeds to Liverpool canal, stopping somewhere half way ish for a sleep on Sunday night
Burnley...?

A few years back a couple I know borrowed a boat and sailed a big length of the Leeds-Liverpool canal. They stopped off in Burnley for the night...

As they moored the boat, they heard a commotion coming from just up the canal. Two very large women with heavily-tattooed arms were shouting to a boy who had dived into a very polluted stretch of water. He resurfaced after about 30 seconds holding something furry and in an excited voice yelled "Hey mam, I got me a rat!"

After that, they went looking for something to eat. They got a frosty reception at a sandwich shop when they asked for wholemeal bread and salad to accompany their processed cheese slices.

Eventually they ended up at a backstreet pub somewhere in Burnley. They said that when they walked in, it was like a scene from a Western. Everybody stopped drinking and turned to stare at them.

Apparently it was Quiz Night at the pub, and being the sort of people who solve the Guardian crossword in about 20 minutes, they thought they'd have a go.

"What is the capital city of France?"
"What is the name of the British Prime Minister?"
"What date was the battle of Hastings..."
"...and who won?"
"What is the name of this pub - NO CHEATING!"

and so on...

The answer sheets were handed in and after a delay for marking, the results were finally announced - "In third place, Mick & Dave with a score of 3/20. In 2nd place the Slasher family with 5/20. And in 1st place with a score of... 20/20 were some f**kin' smart-arse bastards from out of town, the 'boat-crew'. So you think yer clever do ya, well come 'ere and claim yer bloody prize then!" My friends quietly slipped out of the side door and ran back to the boat before they were lynched...
:whistle:

Top Bottom