Llandegla routes- questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Having just got my hard tail (26.5" Giant) I plan to do some off roading and one of the places on my list is the Llandegla centre.
I know is has 4 or maybe 5 routes.
I am nearing my 68th birthday and although I am quite fit for my age I plan to stay WELL within my limits so plan to start on the easiest route.
My question is..............is there a BIG difference between the easiest and the 2nd easiest------then from the 2nd to 3rd etc.
What I dont want to do is get part way round, say, the 2nd THEN realise I have bitten off more that I can chew.

I realise its a bit of an 'open ended' question so not expecting definitive answers.............just inviting thoughts/comments.

Cubist

Still wavin'
There is nothing on the Red route round Llandegla that you can't ride as long as you are reasonably confident. The climb up to the top is a fairly long drawn out affair, but from there it's all good flowing singletrack. As a novice I felt well challenged the first time I rode it, and there's no doubt that there are places where you will have to be careful if you aren't used to that sort of riding. The last section in particular has some steep plunges and tight turns that it would be easy to overcook, and there are some sections with bumps jumps and berms that can all be rolled rather than attacked, but if you take it easy and (no one is watching!!!) decide it would be prudent to get off and push in some places I reckon you would come home with an immense sense of satisfaction.

Try the blue route to get your eye in. I've never ridden it, but folk say it's great fun. Also, as you start the climb out of the car park you'll find the skills area on your left. Spend a few minutes in there playing and getting a feel for the trail features you'll find, particularly the berms and smaller drops. Try the left hand row of dirt jumps..... even if you don't actually take off, you'll get an idea of how to control your bike over the whoops.

Rode around the black in fancy there last Saturday with our club and Roger who's in his 70's with out a thought of "where's Roger?"

Here's a shot of Roger in action on the bottom end of the black

15886981827_228be59425_c.jpg

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
The last section in particular has some steep plunges and tight turns that it would be easy to overcook, and there are some sections with bumps jumps and berms that can all be rolled rather than attacked, but if you take it easy and (no one is watching!!!) . Try the left hand row of dirt jumps..... even if you don't actually take off, you'll get an idea of how to control your bike over the whoops.

Rode around the black in fancy there last Saturday with our club and Roger who's in his 70's with out a thought of "where's Roger?"

Here's a shot of Roger in action on the bottom end of the black

15886981827_228be59425_c.jpg

Very helpful..................thank you.
If I can find out what a "berm" is I may try it.........but then again!!

The top of the Blue is good fun and the rest not bad. It's only about 40 minutes of riding though, 7 miles ish. I've done it quite a few times now. The red is physically a lot tougher and a bit more challenging even though it's only 3 miles longer than the blue but if you can do the blue you'll be able to do the red, just adjust your speed. Haven't done any of the other trails at Llandegla.

Last edited:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Berms are banked turns, meaning you can keep your tyres perpendicular to the trail surface and thus keep your speed up. Great fun.

Cavalol

Guru
The blue is great fun, as said (above) the top of the downward part is the best fun. There's three (I think) bumps in a row you can get some reasonable speed up going over and a few decent turns etc. too.

I've only done this route and for the record it was once on a £59.99 Trax full suspension bike which was an absolute nightmare going up, (pushed it most of the way) and honestly about the most fun I've ever had coming back down, a second hand hard tail Specialized with rubbish brakes, and my Trek hardtail. The Trek was the best all-rounder, but flying down on the Trax shouting at people on expensive bikes to get out of my way took some beating.

Top Bottom