Llanelli to West London route advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I'm planning to ride from my in-laws in Llanelli over to west London in early September and could do with some route advice/pointers.

My thoughts were to head up north towards Llandovery, the A40-ish for a bit before cutting a little north again and pass almost directly due east via Hereford, Ledbury, Evesham, Banbury, Buckingham before dropping down through Tring and Chesham and into the west of London.

I'd want to avoid A roads as much as is practically possible. If there are any 'must do' sections then let me know. Equally, and perhaps more importantly, any 'definitely avoids'. Also, if you think there's a better way of going. I don't want to spend too long over it - 3 days tops. I'll be travelling light so can aim at anything up to 200km a day.

Murky buckets!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
If you want to know about routes from Chesham, ping @CharlieB, who does Chesham to North London (Regents Park) as a commute. The trick is probably to avoid as much as possible of London unless you're sure of yourself - I find that some of the main roads are fantastic, some of the main roads are ghastly, and some of the small roads are atrocious, so if you can let us know whereabouts you're heading for it would be useful - you might want to rearrange your approach.

OP
OP
Y

yello

cheers for the response srw.

That section, I'm comfortable with and could ride in my sleep! I used to commute central London to Harrow. And if I didn't fancy it, I'd get the Met line!

The section that I'm not so comfortable with is the A40 section to Brecon. I don't suspect it's the most pleasant of roads to ride but I suspect I'll not be blessed with choice.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
A decent route as far as Hereford would be Ammanford along the northern fringe of the Brecon Beacons via Carreg Cennen Castle to TreCastle - Brecon-Hay - Hereford roughly along the Wye. Done it all in bits and you could work out a lovely route with only a little A-road. The A40 near Brecon is not busy.

Doseone

Guru
cheers for the response srw.

That section, I'm comfortable with and could ride in my sleep! I used to commute central London to Harrow. And if I didn't fancy it, I'd get the Met line!

The section that I'm not so comfortable with is the A40 section to Brecon. I don't suspect it's the most pleasant of roads to ride but I suspect I'll not be blessed with choice.

I think I can help here^_^. Actually the A40 Llandovery to Brecon is ok, but there are back roads you can take which are much nicer. The A40 east of Brecon is far less pleasant for cycling. Give me a bit of time over the next day and I'll map a route together for you avoiding the main road.

Edit: just tried to send you a pm but can't. Depending on when and what time you are coming I could ride the section with you if you wanted a bit of company for a short while.

OP
OP
Y

yello

A decent route as far as Hereford would be Ammanford along the northern fringe of the Brecon Beacons via Carreg Cennen Castle to TreCastle - Brecon-Hay - Hereford roughly along the Wye. Done it all in bits and you could work out a lovely route with only a little A-road. The A40 near Brecon is not busy.

I looked at that exact route on the map yesterday evening. It'll looked good so thanks for the recommendation. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Y

yello

I think I can help here^_^. Actually the A40 Llandovery to Brecon is ok, but there are back roads you can take which are much nicer. The A40 east of Brecon is far less pleasant for cycling. Give me a bit of time over the next day and I'll map a route together for you avoiding the main road.

Top man! I looked at cutting up north of Brecon and avoiding the A40 entirely, much as bof said above - Ammanford, Gwynfe, Twynllanan, Trecastle, Sennybridge then north of Brecon up to Bronllys on on to Hereford along the Wye.

Doseone

Guru
Here you go

I think bof has the right idea. I don't know the western end so well, but the route I have mapped is almost exactly the one you suggest ie going through Twynllanan, so I've started the route from Pont-Ar-Llechau, and it takes you on a nice, scenic set of rolling back roads all the way through to Hay on Wye.

As I said, I'd be happy to ride the section with you if you fancied company, but no offence will be taken if you're happy being solo. Even if you just want to refill your bottles and have a "comfort break", let me know, you will literally pass my front door.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Thank you Doseone, I'll do that section pretty much as you've mapped it. I had planned to go north of Talgarth but your route seems more direct.

I'd love company for as much of that as you want to accompany me for. I'll pm you with details once I've worked them out but at this stage I reckon I'll be doing that bit on the morning of the 3rd Sept.

Doseone

Guru
Great, keep me posted.

There's not much in it but I'd say the route south of Talgarth is probably a bit nicer.

All the best.

frank9755

Cyclist
I've ridden between London and Wales a few times recently, including West London to Llanelli a couple of years ago, which included the FNRttC.
We went further south, using the A48, which is one of my favourite roads, and the Severn Bridge. If you go that way, then the route via Malmesbury is pretty good. Or if you have decided to take the hilly route, via Hereford, then I'd suggest following the route of The Dean in reverse from Newent to Oxford.
http://ridewithgps.com/trips/559848
From Oxford it is a pleasant ride to London via Thame, Princes Risborough, Great Missenden, Amersham and Harefield.
I can share you some more GPS tracks for those options.

OP
OP
Y

yello

From Oxford it is a pleasant ride to London via Thame, Princes Risborough, Great Missenden, Amersham and Harefield.

It is that. I know it well from both cycling and motorcycling. You've given me food for thought Frank, thank you. I may just drop south sooner to pick up that route.

Top Bottom