Load Carrying

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Dudes,

I'm getting a bit faffed off with panniers on the commute, mainly with having to remove/reattach them outside work (yep, it'll go walkies in a police station!)

I drop the bulk of my kit off beforehand, so daily I'm not carrying a huge amount - shirt, underwear, socks, sarnies, small first aid kit, spare tube, multi tool, jacket... Not a huge load.

I'm thinking a small plastic cycle top box night be the way to go. Chuck everything in a Harrods carrier bag, bung it in the box and away we go. I guess theyd be totally waterproof too, and I could still attach the panniers if I needed extra capacity.

Whaddya think?

I carry what you do, plus a little (add waterproof trousers and jackets and we are about there), and I just use a backpack. Yes, you get sweaty back syndrome, but I shower on arrival anyway!

StuartG

slower but further
Why not do the panniers once a week to exchange your stock of clean/dirty wear? Then for the rest of the week you can have the pleasure of just a tiny wedge bag under the saddle for your multitool, 2 tubes and tyre levers. Why carry more?

Sandra6

Veteran
I could do with some advice on this subject too - seems daft to start a separate thread now.
I'm giving my step-through bike with basket to my eldest daughter which means I need to put a rack, pannier, bag of some description onto the hybrid instead, but I'm not sure what would be easiest -most convenient??
I like the sound of a rack bag, but how much would it hold?
I generally pick up a day's worth of shopping in the basket and pick up random items of shopping, clothing etc at other times.
Will I notice a balance difference with a loaded rack or pannier??

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Topeak do various panniers that close upwards when you travel light (forming a rack bag) and fold down when you need to carry loads.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Hang on, your stuff isn't safe in a police station? How, what, why...this is shameful. My gahst is utterly flabbered. I must be incredibly naive to have thought that it would be a safe place to leave a few belongings in safety. Surely an officer or civilian working at a police station must be incredibly stupid if they are prepared to nick someones niknaks. Wouldn't they be risking disciplinary action or the sack or something, not to mention the utter shame that would ensue if they were caught? And for what, some sweaty bits and bobs and an energy bar?

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Topeak do various panniers that close upwards when you travel light (forming a rack bag) and fold down when you need to carry loads.
Ooh, that's a good idea. I'm off on t'web to have a look at them.

They've got some lovely gear but a bit pricey. I'll have to pinch the idea and make my own. The local market is an excellent source of cheap but smart looking briefcase bags that can be converted into detatchable panniers with a bit of sewing here and there.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Hang on, your stuff isn't safe in a police station? How, what, why...this is shameful. My gahst is utterly flabbered. I must be incredibly naive to have thought that it would be a safe place to leave a few belongings in safety. Surely an officer or civilian working at a police station must be incredibly stupid if they are prepared to nick someones niknaks. Wouldn't they be risking disciplinary action or the sack or something, not to mention the utter shame that would ensue if they were caught? And for what, some sweaty bits and bobs and an energy bar?
No, yes, yes, yes and yes.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Are you and CopperCyclist really, honestly, police officers? You both seem too nice. Do you think that this has hindered your chances of promotion?
I guess I could be loosely described a copper. Im not interested in being promoted any further. Too cynical to think its worth it, too close to retiring from it to care.

Top Bottom