Load Carrying

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Carradice bag, with an SQR attachment. 2 seconds to attach or remove. The hanger has an easy webbing carry handle too. :smile:

Are you and CopperCyclist really, honestly, police officers? You both seem too nice. Do you think that this has hindered your chances of promotion?

lol! Drago is right about things not being safe in a police station - though strangely, it tends to be the inverse of the real world. I can leave my three grand bike in the corridor and it'll almost certainly be there when I come back. However, if I left a £3 light on the side in the same corridor, it'll almost certainly be gone when I come back. Strange world.

As for being too nice, I'm quite restrained on the forum, and have the advantage of being able to think before I post, and silently leave a 'debate' if people get too personal/annoying ;)

What hinders my chances of promotion is only being capable of carrying out the role, rather than willing to jump through the various bureaucratic hoops that are needed! I haven't even bothered with the exams yet, maybe I will one day when I finally give in!

Cyclopathic

Veteran
lol! Drago is right about things not being safe in a police station - though strangely, it tends to be the inverse of the real world. I can leave my three grand bike in the corridor and it'll almost certainly be there when I come back. However, if I left a £3 light on the side in the same corridor, it'll almost certainly be gone when I come back. Strange world.

As for being too nice, I'm quite restrained on the forum, and have the advantage of being able to think before I post, and silently leave a 'debate' if people get too personal/annoying ;)

What hinders my chances of promotion is only being capable of carrying out the role, rather than willing to jump through the various bureaucratic hoops that are needed! I haven't even bothered with the exams yet, maybe I will one day when I finally give in!

Good, I hope you do. I'd like to think that there were some coppers higher up who had a good handle on cycling. (Not that I'm saying I think you should just be the copper in charge of cycling matters)

Crankarm

Guru
Buy a good rack and panniers. They make life so much easier. It will be quite an outlay apporx £150 --160. but worth it. I take mine for granted. I occasionally think it would be nice to be on a light plastic road bike carrying a banana and a tube but really this is not practical if you ride every day in all weathers. You need mudguards to keep drier, racks and panniers to carry your gear and food which you simply cannot do in any a more civilised manner. A rucksack unless a hyrdation pack risks turning you into a big sweaty monster and knackering your back.

Dudes,

I'm getting a bit faffed off with panniers on the commute, mainly with having to remove/reattach them outside work (yep, it'll go walkies in a police station!)

I drop the bulk of my kit off beforehand, so daily I'm not carrying a huge amount - shirt, underwear, socks, sarnies, small first aid kit, spare tube, multi tool, jacket... Not a huge load.

I'm thinking a small plastic cycle top box night be the way to go. Chuck everything in a Harrods carrier bag, bung it in the box and away we go. I guess theyd be totally waterproof too, and I could still attach the panniers if I needed extra capacity.

Whaddya think?

I do much the same, and have moved to an AlpKit Gourdon 20 in fluorescent (the flo colour was my idea for them), they're cheaper than Ortlieb and a British company (Ilkeston, Derbyshire)

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=category&category_id=295

[Edit]

I also have a higher volume Gourdon that got scragged in an accident, AlpKit replaced it free of charge, it travels the world with me.

[Edit Edit]

They make frame bags: http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16786&category_id=324

And they don't yet, but will be making these commuter frame bags: http://www.alpkit.com/news/commuter-frame-bag-winner

Zakalwe

I seem to get by with taking a rucksack in on a monday with clean shirts, socks, Y-fronts-I-mean-Calvin's, and the weeks tie selections, then take it all home on friday, my suits and shoes stay at work. I get bread etc for sandwiches at the supermarket near work and make my lunch each day. Everything I need for each ride, phone, keys, wallet, tyre irons etc goes in the jersey pocket.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Guys, thank you all for your thoughts.

I've decided on a small top box - car boot convenience ;) when I'm touring or shopping I can add the panniers as well, or even bungee bits atop the box.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I have a Carradice SQR Tour, awesome bag - shaped so it doesnt add any extra drag, unclips quickly and huge storeage capacity (fits a 15 pack of lager perfectly :biggrin:) and looks more modern than most Carradice bags :smile:

Top Bottom