Local bike shop - stock choices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amac

Hi all,
I hope everyone is well.

I have started looking to move from my Hybrid to a road bike, to start going out with the local club, which is just starting in small numbers.

I started looking just before lock down, and I was looking at two bikes:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/contend-sl-2-disc
https://whyte.bike/products/dorset

As I am looking for something with a bit of comfort but still good for road rides, as not and all out "racer" :smile:

They have no stock of either, so I popped in today to see what was available.

https://road.cc/content/review/242446-bianchi-nirone-all-road-sora @ £1050
https://www.marinbikes.com/gb/bikes/20-gestalt

When I have had a look and read, both are gravel bikes.

I have my hybrid for going on rides with my wife, canal paths, bridle ways that sort of thing.

I love the look of the Bianchi, but do you think I would feel much difference between this type of bike and a more purpose road bike?

I was in two minds whether to jump in, as I have been waiting so long, or just sit it out for another 6 months until stock get back to where they should be.

Thanks for any tips, or advice for me to think about :smile:
Cheers Alex

vickster

Legendary Member
Could be another 6 months or more before stocks recover and 2021 models will be more expensive. I'd buy now if you want a road bike for this summer.

The Marin is more gravel than road too. You could always put a racier road tyre on the Bianchi and upgrade the brakes

I doubt you'd notice the difference at all versus a 'more traditional roadbike' (not that such a thing really exists). It is expensive though for Sora but sounds a good practical option :ohmy:

OP
OP
A

Amac

Could be another 6 months or more before stocks recover and 2021 models will be more expensive. I'd buy now if you want a road bike for this summer.

The Marin is more gravel than road too. You could always put a racier road tyre on the Bianchi and upgrade the brakes

I doubt you'd notice the difference at all versus a 'more traditional roadbike' (not that such a thing really exists). It is expensive though for Sora but sounds a good practical option :ohmy:
Hi thanks for your views, I am half and half, just don’t want jump in and regretting it, not sure the misus would let me spend so much on a Bike for the 2nd time ha ha :smile:

Agree with @vickster, the differences between road and gravel bikes can be quite subtle, weight and tyres can be an issue, my gravel bike on road tyres feels sprightly enough but it is carbon, and over 1kg heavier than road bike but comfy on long rides. Dont forget you get the added 'do it (almost) all' factor, so rides can be more varied on gravel bike.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yes as above it pretty scarce , got my c2w voucher and the supplier told me to check the website in a week to see if they have any stock if im lucky

All uphill

Still rolling along
If you like something a little different Winstanleys still have Orro Terras for £1062 with 105.

I love mine to bits, good ride, great paintwork.

Before @vickster says it, it does have a press fit BB.😉

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If you like something a little different Winstanleys still have Orro Terras for £1062 with 105.

I love mine to bits, good ride, great paintwork.

Before @vickster says it, it does have a press fit BB.😉
My best bike has a press fit BB , 3 years old and not a squeak and still smooth

Never seen it like this for bike shortages, bit of a wait sometimes for popular 'latest and shiniest' in certain sizes, but this is bananas :wacko:

OP
OP
A

Amac

Agree with @vickster, the differences between road and gravel bikes can be quite subtle, weight and tyres can be an issue, my gravel bike on road tyres feels sprightly enough but it is carbon, and over 1kg heavier than road bike but comfy on long rides. Dont forget you get the added 'do it (almost) all' factor, so rides can be more varied on gravel bike.
Cheers for that, the tyres didn’t look too big, and the guy in the shop said I could change them, ha ha you know what it’s like you, when you are not very experienced, you read some reviews and it gets stuck in your head :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Cheers for that, the tyres didn’t look too big, and the guy in the shop said I could change them, ha ha you know what it’s like you, when you are not very experienced, you read some reviews and it gets stuck in your head :smile:
Did they let you ride it?

Top Bottom