Local wheel repairer wanted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
There wasn't a "p" there! :laugh:

Sorry for assuming a 'town bike' could have such an expensive gearing system/hub and these modern disc brakes.
Hope you get sorted.
It is my version of a town bike. I wanted a bike that I could just get on ride without getting grease on my trousers, that did not need much maintenance, and allow me to cycle up short steep hills and stop me on the way down. I started with a Btwin Network 700, I put a Hebie Chainglider chain case on it. I changed the back sprocket to 22 tooth to lower the gearing. I raised the handles bars so I sat more upright.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The spokes always break in the same place. Just as it comes out of the hub and turns through 90°. I assume this is typical for spoke breakages.
That is the normal place spokes break though the other place is where the thread, even rolled not cut, has produced a stress riser: the first turn of the thread into the nipple. Now you've had more than one go, others will follow: they have reached their fatigue limit after years of service. In a batch there will be a variation about a mean of their life: you seen the start of the bell curve.
Oh, and the other place they can 'go' is where contact with the RD cage (limit screw poor setting or a bent hanger) or a chain coming off the large sprocket into the spokes has caused bad scoring and a stress riser.

Last edited:
Top Bottom