Loch Katrine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joemaxi

Went for my first "day off" ride on the bike today!

Myself and 2 other equally unfit lorry drivers decided to go to Loch Katrine,catch the steam ship to Stronachlachar and cycle down the 14 single track private road back down to the pier where we caught the boat. We arrived there,only to be told that the boat was broken so it wouldn`t be sailing today. So,we thought "Sod it-lets go for the 28 mile round trip!" If anybody knows the route it can be quite "Up and downy" but we thoroughly enjoyed the ride!

The weather was lovely and after reaching the far end,there was a lovely tea-room where we stopped and had a lovely plate of home-made soup!

The ride back was equally good apart from the gears playing up-it wouldn`t change the cog on the pedal crank and just kept clicking but wouldn`t move. Not knowing how to fix it,I left it on the middle cog and made the best of it. When I got back to the pier,I asked one of the guys at the bike hire unit how I could fix it and the chap said he`d have a look. Even better,he took it away and fixed it for me-saving me a trip to the LBS!
I gave him some money to buy a pint as it was really nice of him to fix it for me-if you read this,you`re a life saver!!

I was pleasantly surprised how well I coped with the ride,being new to cycling.I thought after 28 miles I would be knackered but I could have turned round and done the trip again.....well,maybe not the full trip!!:thumbsup:

So,now I`m off to google why it wouldn`t change gears and hopefully learn how to fix it myself!

snorri

Legendary Member
Good to hear of your adventures today joemaxi, 28 miles is a good day out. Welcome to the ranks of the touring cyclist.:thumbsup::smile:

OP
OP
joemaxi

joemaxi

Thanks for the replies guys!

I hope that this will be the first of many trips as I really enjoyed it.I know the Sirrus Elite probably isn`t the ideal bike for these trips but it performed well on the day-a bit of a bumpy ride over some of the rougher tarmac but overall I`m happy with my purchase!

Thanks for that link,Scoosh,it really was an interesting site-I feel a bit more confident in adjusting the gears myself fter watching the videos.

Sleekitcollie,who is it you drive for? I`m a trolley dolly driving for ASDA in Falkirk!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Well done joemaxi with your 28 miler, from yet another (unfit but trying) lorry driver (Saints, out of Glasgow airport depot. But probably not for long, things are bad and doors about to close! Any recruitment going on at Asda? Their website isn't helpful so I'm assuming it is contracted out?).

OP
OP
joemaxi

joemaxi

Brandane said:
Well done joemaxi with your 28 miler, from yet another (unfit but trying) lorry driver (Saints, out of Glasgow airport depot. But probably not for long, things are bad and doors about to close! Any recruitment going on at Asda? Their website isn't helpful so I'm assuming it is contracted out?).

Not at the moment but we've heard rumours that there will be in a while. It wouldn't hurt to phone and get an application form sent to you but phone both sites, Falkirk chill(where I work) and Grangemouth ambient as they both recruit seperately,which is all in-house,so no agencies!

As for the cycle, it made my trip to work today seem effortless! I actually beat my personal best! Usually the trip home is always quicker but today,with no wind,I beat my time by about 30 seconds. It doesn't sound much but when it's a personal best, it feels like a huge amount!!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Thanks for the info re Asda Joemaxi, I'll give them both a call. Must give that Loch Katrine route a go sometime, sounds good. Got a wee run planned tomorrow, over to Cowal and try and do about 30 miles to get my total since buying the bike in November up to the magic 1000 miles :smile:. All at a fairly leisurely pace I have to add.....

Top Bottom