Lochinver loop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
Which direction would you tackle this loop in, including the mini loop in the southwest?

I've done the big circle anticlockwise before so would love to retrace my steps (pedals) but are the hills easier and the views better clockwise?

1653927167835.png

iandg

Legendary Member
I've done it about 4 times, always clockwise. Some years ago now, pre NC500. With the increased traffic on the route as a result of NC500 I would imagine that clockwise is still best as you're traveling in the same direction of most tourists.

I haven't cycled the Achiltibuie loop.

bruce1530

Guru
Never cycled it, but clockwise seems sensible - guessing the bit closest to the sea will be most exposed, so you want the prevailing wind behind you there.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Never cycled it, but clockwise seems sensible - guessing the bit closest to the sea will be most exposed, so you want the prevailing wind behind you there.

Ah I hadn't even thought of that, although last time I did it it was a northerly wind. Can just check on the day, Mywindsock is very good at that stuff.

iandg

Legendary Member
If the wind's against you from Kylesku it's tough. Very exposed countryside with not much shelter. It may be better doing the twists and turns along the coast on return as you may duck in and out of the wind.

805898281_7a7bc09738_c.jpg

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
Thinking about it - the only reason I did it clockwise is that two rides were sportives and on the other 2 occasions I was chasing the late afternoon ferry from Ullapool to Stornoway. By going clockwise I would have a better idea on how time was going and whether I would need to bail out at Lochinver and head directly back to Ullapool.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Thinking about it - the only reason I did it clockwise is that two rides were sportives and on the other 2 occasions I was chasing the late afternoon ferry from Ullapool to Stornoway. By going clockwise I would have a better idea on how time was going and whether I would need to bail out at Lochinver and head directly back to Ullapool.

Going anti-clockwise, that's maybe a good way I can tell whether I have the time for the little loop near Achiltibuie, will probably just make a call on the day based on weather and how early i managed to get out of bed. :smile:

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru

Back in 2000 I remember stopping to take a photo of the '25% descent' sign before this bit of rollercoaster road, thinking that I would be in for the ride of my life, not realising that it was so twisty I would be on the brakes all the way down, and then it's 25% back up the other side again!

1654108831511.png

Sounds like you were 'busy' all four times, but any tips on any likely picnic spots away from Lochinver?

iandg

Legendary Member
Back in 2000 I remember stopping to take a photo of the '25% descent' sign before this bit of rollercoaster road, thinking that I would be in for the ride of my life, not realising that it was so twisty I would be on the brakes all the way down, and then it's 25% back up the other side again!

View attachment 647196

Sounds like you were 'busy' all four times, but any tips on any likely picnic spots away from Lochinver?

Sorry, can't remember. It's almost 10 years since I rode the loop.

Top Bottom