Portsmouth/Gosport loops with cafe stops?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
At a loose end tomorrow, and fancy riding around Portsmouth - but don't know the area all that well (as far as cycling goes).

I'd like to try 30-40 miles in the area, with some recommendations for cafe stops if anyone has any?

Road routes very much preferred, and I am open to Portsdown Hill, though it's been a few years.

TIA.

A bit late now but Cycle.Travel will generate a route for you. Select your start point, select 'paved' and suggest a ride. Adjust for preferred distance. Keep hitting 'Suggest' until you get one that suits. The 'find accommodation' will show up hotels for a coffee or zoom in on the map for cafés and other services. Changing the map style to OSM may help that.
Gradient & climbing info available.

Emanresu

Have a look at OpenCycleMap. Two circular routes centred on Portsmouth. Ferry to Gosport is fun.

Portsmouth.jpg

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Thanks guys, appreciate the tips. In the end the weather was iffy so I did a quick zwift ride.

I did however draw a nice route out from Warsash to east Portsmouth using the Gosport Ferry, up over Portsdown Hill and back west. Will try it out in the next few weeks.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Thanks guys, appreciate the tips. In the end the weather was iffy so I did a quick zwift ride.

I did however draw a nice route out from Warsash to east Portsmouth using the Gosport Ferry, up over Portsdown Hill and back west. Will try it out in the next few weeks.

Be warned, the Gosport Ferry is £6.80 for you and bike, for a seven-minute journey. If your route between Warsash and there is the coastal option, there are lots of your typical Sustrans paths (not road bike friendly) & definitely a 'scenic route' in both senses- very pretty, very slow- some of the signage is less than clear. Did it the other week (route recce for a friend) and it reminded me why I don't ride around there much. You might want to give it a rethink…or just be prepared to give it plenty of time!

Top Bottom