Lock advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danphoto

I'm about to squander over £1K of our ill-gotten on a new bicycle and am not up to speed on what's reckoned to be the best compromise locker-upper.

Usual use e.g. Sheffield stands, lamp posts etc., must have some kind of bracket to attach to frame, and must offer a reasonable trade-off of security for weight. Combination preferred over keyed, but not a deal-breaker, and cost not the primary issue (but I'd flinch more than a bit at more than £50).

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
IMHO buy the best gold standard lock that you are willing to spend money on.

something like these http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kryptonite/new-york-3000-lock-ec005751 and or this http://www.evanscycles.com/products/abus/granit-chain-lock-ec012201
though you can probrably find better price elsewhere.

Though at the end of the day no lock is going to stop a determined bike thief for long. The above won't stop them but will make them think twice.

nigelnorris

ianrauk said:
I bought mine from Parker, was even cheaper a couple of weeks ago, but at still under 50 quid this has to be a good deal:

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/6773/Kryptonite-New-York-3000-Lock-.html

They're way cheaper for locks in general than anywhere else I've been able to find, free postage too.

Key not combination though, and not wide enough to fit round lamp posts. All Kryptonite sold secure products come with free limited insurance if your bike is stolen while wearing one, gold ones like this cover bikes as expensive than you've mentioned (£1600 off the top of my head).

Maybe this chain might be better

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/9785/Kryptonite-New-York-Chain.html

nigelnorris

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
User3143 said:
Don't buy a chain or cable lock, they are shoot - just google ''Captain Cropper'' to see why.

Aim for a solid D-Lock where the width of the shackle is >then 16mm

a determined scrote in a hoodie with a stubby will do the avg cyclists expensive sold secure D lock in seconds with about 10 pumps of the stubby's handle

Tynan

Veteran
do people with expensive bikes really want to carry heavy locks around?

I don't, it's more about where you leave your bike, the htought of leaving mine locked to a lampost make me feel faint, I've got three honking great chains/locks at the few semi secure places I regularly cyc;e to

LazyLoki

You wont get a decent combination lock. If you're concerned about loosing your keys, go for one of the more expensive Abus d-locks. Each one comes with a unique key code and if you loose them, Abus will send you a replacement in 24hrs.

You're better using the smallest d-lock you can manage with to secure your frame and have a separate cable to secure your wheels. The kryptonite evolution mini is quite good, or for a bit more money, the new york faggetaboutit.

Mr Pig

User3143 said:
Don't buy a chain or cable lock, they are shoot - just google ''Captain Cropper'' to see why.

LINK

Hardly convincing. That's f****** big pair of bolt cutters the man's got, not the kind of thing your average bike thief will be carrying, and he still really struggled.

Is this for the shed or out and about?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
if you have a tidy bike, using two different types of lock will probably put of the opportunist thief 100% of the time. Easier pickings elsewhere, he will move on.

If a pro is after your bike the only point of the lock I can is to ensure you can make an insurance claim - I speak from the perspective of someone who had two very expensive very rare classic motorbikes stolen over a 5 year period despite an array of expensive kit to prevent their theft.

If scrote fails to nick bike because you've used a small D lock properly - i.e. filled to the brim a la St. Sheldon, then down our way it seems common for him to either vandalise your bike, couple of swift kicks to your wheels and a quick go with the side cutters on you cables or make off with your cockpit forks and front wheel having cut your cable.

see http://quickrelease.tv/?p=327 for a good overview article that was once in Cycle

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
User3143 said:
As long as the lock is suspended then I fail to see how you can get a car jack, crow bar or any sort of leverage to break a D-lock.

unless you are using a small D lock* and absolutely stuffing it with frame (down near the BB) and sheffield stand, then suspended or not I will have it away with my stubby in less than three goes/minutes and I'm not a pro. I have the shattered remains of a £70odd kryptopnite lock at home to prove it.

(I hasten to point out that I was call on skills from my very misspent youth to return the bike to its rightful owner, she having lost the keys for flips sake, not thieving anything.)

*and therefore you can predict in advance where you will be locking your bike so you know what size of D lock you need

Mr Pig

User3143 said:
Yeah...£120 fagitabouit chain snapped in less then 15 seconds.

I think that when you are trying to put off thieves you have to think laterally. Rather than trying to make your lock bomb-proof, is there anywhere better you could leave the bike? If it's left all day whilst you're at work, assuming you can't get it inside at work, are there any other businesses or factories nearby who might let you park in in their premises? I think I was wrong to say that thieves probably don't carry large bolt cutters, the pros probably do. I think the best solution is to find a way to get the bike into a safer parking place.

On that video I linked to the guy obviously struggled to break the chain, he had to stand on the cutters and use both hands on the other lever. If the chain were up in the air I don't think he would've managed to get the purchase on it.

D4VOW

User3143 said:
Yeah...£120 fagitabouit chain snapped in less then 15 seconds.

Edit:That's a different link

In those videos they are using 60" bolt cutters (impossible to conceal) with diamond tipped blades (expensive and short life) on a chain that is on the floor enabling them to use their entire weight (which is substantial in the case of the fat guy) to break the chains. Try cutting a Fahgettaboudit with a common 24 or 36" pair of bolt cutters with standard blades when it is suspended in the air, you won't succeed.

Personally I would recommend the Fahgettaboudit mini U-lock for locking the bike to an object and a cable lock to secure your wheels. Slightly above your budget for both but do you really want to lose a 1k investment?

Matt

Its frightening how easy it looks to break through the locks with the right equipment. I very rarely leave my bike anyway, but If I do, I always look for a suitable place to do it. Such as infront of a window or in a busy street where its going to be much more difficult for the thieves to break through the lock on the sly

Just been watching a few of them captain cropper videos and he opened one D lock up with a bloody pen!

There is normally at least two of us who go out riding, so if we need to go in a shop, we do it one at a time, so we don't have to lock them up.

While on the subject of D-Locks. Is there anything you can use that is better than the stupid brackets you get with them, to attach to the frame?

Top Bottom