Lock for popping down the shops...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MJN

MJN

Yes.

I've used fixed alarms attached to bikes, and also the alarm padlocks.

The padlock ones I've used are these, and the fixed alarms I've used for the past couple of years are these.

Thanks David - will check them out later. (Can't access eBay at work)

Ultimately I don't think anything will stop a determined thief who has a buyer lined up ready for your bike.
Indeed, although I try not to worry too much about that.

Mathew

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Essentially there are three levels of risk, and two levels of security:

1. Opportunist thief without tools, eg. kids riding off as a lark
Any lock at all will work here, including a cable-lock made from cheese

2. A thief with typical tools and a location with plenty of people passing, limiting the time they can take
A Sold Secure Gold D-lock works here, making it tough enough that the thief will take an easier target instead

3. A really determined thief, with no constraints on tools or time
Nothing works here

So it's a question of assessing whether your risk falls into level 1 or 2.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
A cheapish cable / D lock will be good enough if you're leaving the bike for short periods and you only live in a small town.

Most thieves are opportuntists and are unlikely to have the necessary tools to break these. Plus a stolen bike is more difficult to disguise in a small town so you're less likely to attract the buggers in the first place.

CopperBrompton

At the risk of sounding flippant, I'd say 1.5 ...?!
Basically anything short of a SS Gold D-lock can be broken very easily with basic tools, so if you think anyone with tools might have a go, then it's level 2.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Another handy tip... when approaching where you're going to leave your bike, drop it into the lowest gear on both derailers... in the event of you coming out of the shop and you see some pesky young scoundrel hopping onto your bike, they're going to be in too low a gear to go anywhere quick, giving you a good opportunity to get to them before they get into gear and upto speed... and as i mentioned in another thread, where possible, lock up next to a better bike with worse lock.

or, you could buy a cheap 'shopper', add a nice wicker basket to front (handy for the shop), paint it pink and put a sticker on each side saying 'proud gay peddler' :wub:

OP
OP
MJN

MJN

Another handy tip... when approaching where you're going to leave your bike, drop it into the lowest gear on both derailers...
Yeah I've done that before and, like others I'm sure, ended up forgetting about it and nearly falling off myself when starting off! :blush:

or, you could buy a cheap 'shopper', add a nice wicker basket to front (handy for the shop), paint it pink and put a sticker on each side saying 'proud gay peddler' :wub:
That's always an option, and probably quite an effective one at that!

Mathew

D

Deleted member 1258

I've been looking at these for when I'm at the cafe stop on Sunday club runs, I have a solid secure bronze lock and chain but its too heavy to be carried on a Sunday, Its in my work bag at the moment and I can feel the weight all the time I'm riding.

http://shop.yale.co.uk/acatalog/New_Products.html

Tynan

Veteran
how long is the bike going to be left alone for in this small village?

it sounds to me like any lock at all, or even better get a junker for local trips

snorri

Legendary Member
I'm looking for a lock which I can take with it when simply popping out to the shops in my local village (small town). and the crime levels in our town are low -
Any thoughts?
My thought is, you worry too much.:sad: , but a cheapo cable lock will be more than adequate for the risk in the locality you describe.

CopperBrompton

I've been looking at these for when I'm at the cafe stop on Sunday club runs, I have a solid secure bronze lock and chain but its too heavy to be carried on a Sunday, Its in my work bag at the moment and I can feel the weight all the time I'm riding.
An Abus Granit Plus (SS Gold) weighs 2kg. Lose 2Kg weight and then you can carry that without penalty. :-)

OP
OP
MJN

MJN

I've been looking at these for when I'm at the cafe stop on Sunday club runs,[...]

http://shop.yale.co....w_Products.html
They're actually rebranded Lock Alarm's. I use their standard version to supplement a D-lock when on my roof-mounted bike carrier - it's weak for bruteforce defence but the noise aspect should hopefully be of benefit and the length of it means I can cover both bikes, the rack, and feed it through my bootlid hinge.

how long is the bike going to be left alone for in this small village?
I had in my mind just a few minutes but I'm sure when complacency sets in it'll end up being for longer periods eventually.

it sounds to me like any lock at all, [snip]
I think I'm leaning towards that.

My thought is, you worry too much.:sad: , but a cheapo cable lock will be more than adequate for the risk in the locality you describe.
I dare say you've hit the nail on the head on both counts! If it gets nicked then at least I'll have learnt something and will reconsider my stance next time!

Thanks all for your input - it's been very useful.

Mathew

Top Bottom