lock for short cafe stops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

DLB

davidwalton said:
Inc all extras, around £2700.

Unfortunately, it is that extremely short stop that seems insignificant as a theft risk when the bike goes.

However, given I have no concern about weight of the bike within reason, I would rather carry a couple of gold Secure Standard locks and use them all the time. My Insurance will require me to use at least one Gold Secure lock any way.

£2700??????

My car's barely worth that!

I guess if my (bike) were worth that i'd carry 2 decent u locks like you

I'm wondering at the mo whether to buy this one which is a little heavier but has had good reviews..

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19088

Or i could get the bordo which also got a reasonable review in C+ last year but is LESS secure than the mini pitbull and is 3 times the price. It does look funky tho...

davidwalton

DLB said:
£2700??????

My car's barely worth that!

I guess if my (bike) were worth that i'd carry 2 decent u locks like you

I'm wondering at the mo whether to buy this one which is a little heavier but has had good reviews..

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19088

Or i could get the bordo which also got a reasonable review in C+ last year but is LESS secure than the mini pitbull and is 3 times the price. It does look funky tho...

Never use 2 of the same type of lock. If someone is tooled up to break that type, than having 2 of the same isn't going to help much (especially if it only takes 10 seconds to break).

Have a U lock and a Cable/Chain lock, then they have to be tooled up for 2 types.

Yes, I have the order invoice for my bike on my desk currently. Total of £2,683.00. Includes things like fairing, panniers, racks, pedals, upgrade gearing, etc, etc, etc. See http://www.bikefix.co.uk/index.php?...b7bf&get_ol_id=4&get_gl_id=7&get_sgl_id=18#a7 go the quote page and see how quickly the price goes up with upgrades and options.

OP
OP
D

DLB

a recumbent!! For £2700. Didn't realise they could be that expensive.

They look wierd to ride. Reminds me of the sinclair C5. Looks comfortable tho - more so than my saddle. And the chain 'run' is rather strange also. Doesn't it make a noise?

davidwalton

DLB said:
a recumbent!! For £2700. Didn't realise they could be that expensive.

They look wierd to ride. Reminds me of the sinclair C5. Looks comfortable tho - more so than my saddle. And the chain 'run' is rather strange also. Doesn't it make a noise?

Yes, they cost lots. Mainly because the manufacturing unit costs are much higher than standard DF bikes. If I had loads of money, I would of gone for highest spec, and upgrades, with a cost of well over £3500. Not rich though :wacko:

I can't ride a DF bike as my spine won't allow it any more. I can lay back and pedal though, so the Recumbent is ideal.

Yes, very comfortable and no comparison to a DF bike.

Why should it be noisey? Same mechanics as a DF bike, just with a longer chain.

OP
OP
D

DLB

davidwalton said:
Why should it be noisey? Same mechanics as a DF bike, just with a longer chain.

it looks from the pic that the chain goes through a tube?? It certainly doesn't look straight!! though this might cause some noise, unless there are cogs it goes round that i can't see?

davidwalton

DLB said:
it looks from the pic that the chain goes through a tube?? It certainly doesn't look straight!! though this might cause some noise, unless there are cogs it goes round that i can't see?

There is a cog under the seat. Routing of chain through the top tubes is fairly straight, and no noise that I wouldn't expect from any bike. It is only the top chain that is working. Return chain is not under any stress, so doesn't need to be straight.

Tubes also provide a lot of protection for the chain.

davidwalton

punkypossum said:
I meant for a silver rated one...you can get others with the same rating considerably cheaper...my gold u-lock/cable combi was only £35!

Yes, but everyone seemed to want a lock that did an OK job AND weighed nothing, AND was small, AND.........etc. Features rather than security.

Top Bottom