lock for short cafe stops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cheddar George

oober member
I have the Abus lock, quick and easy to use when you are just nipping into a shop or sitting in a cafe looking at the bike through the window. Most the places i stop don't have proper "tooled up" villains wandering the streets, just the normal "yoofs" who would fancy a quick joy ride on a road bike.

When i was a kid (lates 70's/early 80's) we could all crack the cheap combination locks, you just had to flex the barrel and as you rotated to the correct number on each dial you could feel it give slightly. I don't think this method would work on most of the modern versions.

davidwalton

One thing to remember: Your Cycle insurance will not pay up if you either don't have the minimum standard lock they require and agreed to use, or none at all.

Better locks are heavier, but I would rather carry a little extra weight and make my bike a little safer, than spend £200 plus on insurance that won't pay up because I took a risk.

yello

I have a short cable lock that I use for the quick stop scenario. It fits neatly in my saddle pack taking up bugger all space. Quite frankly, a well aimed fart would quite probably break it but I guess it stops the opportunist theft.

OP
OP
D

DLB

davidwalton said:
One thing to remember: Your Cycle insurance will not pay up if you either don't have the minimum standard lock they require and agreed to use, or none at all.

Better locks are heavier, but I would rather carry a little extra weight and make my bike a little safer, than spend £200 plus on insurance that won't pay up because I took a risk.

Good point - i'll check with my insurance and if the lock is ok i'll get the abus one as it looks good, is small, and two of you nice chaps say it does a good job for cafe stops.

thanks for all the comments

Abitrary

I bought a bell 6 foot Bell cable lock from ASDA the other day for £2.89.

That is cheap cosmetic security to me, and I refuse to pay any more for that.

If the bike is out of sight for a long time then I use a decent u-lock.

OP
OP
D

DLB

i prize my bikes highly, but they are not worth more than £300 each. For a 2 minute shop stop i think that i will chance these lower range locks. If the bike gets nicked then i'll put it down to bad luck. How many thieves with cutters are likely to pass my bike in the 2 mins it is outside the shop? i don't think it's many at all. If i'm back on teh forum in the summer saying how sad i am as my bikes been nicked then you can say how wrong i was...

(i just hope i don't hear those words.....)

Dave5N

Über Member
davidwalton said:

Carry a toe strap, sit by the window. Be prepared to hit a low life. If you're too slow/unlucky, lie to the insurers.

Chances are they lied to you first. :evil:

Joe

Über Member
I occasionaly just leave it unlocked, if I'm feeling brave. The eye starts twitching when the person in front starts umming and arring over what to get :wacko:

OP
OP
D

DLB

davidwalton said:
I have spent a lot more than that on my locks.

How much is your bike worth?

Mine are worth £300 each new. How much are yours worth David??

Remember this is for a lock for a 2 min shop stop, not an hour long park in the centre of town. For the second, i would use my onguard pitbull lock

davidwalton

DLB said:
Mine are worth £300 each new. How much are yours worth David??

Remember this is for a lock for a 2 min shop stop, not an hour long park in the centre of town. For the second, i would use my onguard pitbull lock

Inc all extras, around £2700.

Unfortunately, it is that extremely short stop that seems insignificant as a theft risk when the bike goes.

However, given I have no concern about weight of the bike within reason, I would rather carry a couple of gold Secure Standard locks and use them all the time. My Insurance will require me to use at least one Gold Secure lock any way.

Top Bottom