Locked out ... what if

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

noobs

First post. Just got a new bike and a new lock, Kryptonite Keeper Standard 12mm U-Lock. Tested the U-lock several times in the house and seemed to work fine. First use in public, worked fine. Second time in public, today, went to lock the bike, inserted the key and it refused to turn and engage the lock. Then it refused to come out of the crossbar. So I gave up and waited till I was back at the house and after repeatedly jiggling the key, was able to remove it. Returning the lock but now I'm thinking for low security situations, just using a chain lock. If that u-lock had failed in the locked position, man what a headache. With a chain lock, I could just grab some bolt cutters and get the bike back. This would obviously only be for very low security situations, which in my case, will be most situations. Thoughts?

classic33

Leg End Member
Angle grinder would go through either.

Has the locking mechanism dried out?

OP
OP
N

noobs

Yea but I don't have an angle grinder and would rather not have to buy one just in case. No idea about the locking mechanism except the lock is brand new. I remember reading a comment or two by someone else having the same problem with a Kryptonite lock. The keys just don't seem very substantial but maybe that's true of all bike locks/u-locks?

OP
OP
N

noobs

Just a thought but would a battery powered angle grinder be able to cut through a medium secure u-lock? If so, might have no choice but to grab one .. just in case.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm not a fan of special lubes for every application.

However, most oils have an element of stickiness about them, so for locks it is worth buying a lock lube.

Something containing graphite is best.

An old trick is to rub a soft pencil on the key.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Essential to fully insert the key before rotating.
I’ve done similar, just take your time.

simongt

Guru
Agree with Pale Rider. A wee dab of dry lube or similar will do the trick. You've no idea how long your lock has been sitting in storage somewhere waiting to be sold, so the original factory applied lube has probably long since dried out.

si_c

Guru
Sounds like the lock was a little sticky - I've had a Kryptonite lock for years and for two years it was left outdoors where I locked my bike up at work. I've never had any serious problems getting the lock undone.

A squirt of WD-40 and then turning the lock a couple of dozen times has always worked to loosen it off - even when the cause was cold weather and ice related - I kept a can at work for that reason.

In answer to your question, yes a battery powered angle grinder won't have any problems cutting through the shackle of the lock - it's a deterrent rather than a perfect security solution. Return the lock if you've lost faith in it and get it swapped by the retailer - thats what warranties are for, but you should be fine with one and I wouldn't purchase an angle grinder just in case - it's likely to be a waste of money, and carrying one round with you all the time is a bit suspicious!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't ever force a d-lock key. It's rotating a metal bar, and if you try too hard the key will snap. Also make sire there is no pressure on the locking bar as you lock it - one of mine won't lock if it's too tight a fit.

classic33

Leg End Member
Sounds like the lock was a little sticky - I've had a Kryptonite lock for years and for two years it was left outdoors where I locked my bike up at work. I've never had any serious problems getting the lock undone.

A squirt of WD-40 and then turning the lock a couple of dozen times has always worked to loosen it off - even when the cause was cold weather and ice related - I kept a can at work for that reason.

In answer to your question, yes a battery powered angle grinder won't have any problems cutting through the shackle of the lock - it's a deterrent rather than a perfect security solution. Return the lock if you've lost faith in it and get it swapped by the retailer - thats what warranties are for, but you should be fine with one and I wouldn't purchase an angle grinder just in case - it's likely to be a waste of money, and carrying one round with you all the time is a bit suspicious!
Not as suspicious as if he was caught using it.

OP
OP
N

noobs

Well I held my breath, said a prayer and used it again today. Thank god it locked and unlocked. I'm still returning it and getting a replacement. Another thing I discovered is that 12mm on a u-lock ain't nearly long enough, even with the bike right up against a pole.

Last edited:
Top Bottom