Locked out ... what if

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
N

noobs

As for the key/lock lubrication, this is per Kryptonite:
Lubricate the lock several times a year to keep the lock in its best
working condition. Always use a lubricant that has only a silicone,
graphite or Teflon base. Face the lock cylinder upright and spray or
pour the lubricant into the cylinder. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Place a
rag on the workstation and turn the lock over onto the rag for a few
minutes.
Note: Do not use WD-40! WD-40 is a solvent, not a lubricant and will
remove lubricant in the cylinder.

OP
OP
N

noobs

Not as suspicious as if he was caught using it.
Considering most bike thieves never get caught, I'd rather be considered suspicious and get my bike back than leave it for them, lol.

classic33

Leg End Member
As for the key/lock lubrication, this is per Kryptonite:
Lubricate the lock several times a year to keep the lock in its best
working condition. Always use a lubricant that has only a silicone,
graphite or Teflon base. Face the lock cylinder upright and spray or
pour the lubricant into the cylinder. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Place a
rag on the workstation and turn the lock over onto the rag for a few
minutes.
Note: Do not use WD-40! WD-40 is a solvent, not a lubricant and will
remove lubricant in the cylinder.
Did you try the manufacturer's instructions?

OP
OP
N

noobs

Thanks for all the replies. As you can tell from my name, I haven't been on a bike in decades (a lot of decades). So this is all new territory for yours truly. And since we're on bike security, what's your thoughts on smart locks and bike alarms? Having a phone app that would notify me if the bike were moved and also track the movement seems appealing?

vickster

Legendary Member
I use GT85 for sticky locks, cheap and widely available. You do have to make sure the key is in fully in Kryptonite locks as above, they can be a little awkward (my Abus is better)

OP
OP
N

noobs

I use GT85 for sticky locks, cheap and widely available. You do have to make sure the key is in fully in Kryptonite locks as above, they can be a little awkward (my Abus is better)
So you prefer Abus? I'm looking at replacement options now, especially those with an extra long shackle.

vickster

Legendary Member
So you prefer Abus? I'm looking at replacement options now, especially those with an extra long shackle.
I have the beasty 54 Granit x. Quite a costly option and heavy!
I use the Kryptonite for lower risk and if I know I’ll be able to access a Sheffield stand
And not have to use a lamppost

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have a New York FAGH (forgettaboutit) Mini for bad places, like 'work'. It was hard to fix to bike stands, but it was the big bad 'pants' lock. Tiny, but was the weight of a Russian Sub, or so I told eveyone... OK, half.... :laugh:

In case of a Nuclear War you could swing it at a Russian tank and take it out.. BUT, you needed to be careful locking it... like any lock.. the key might snap. :blink:

OP
OP
N

noobs

In case of a Nuclear War you could swing it at a Russian tank and take it out.. BUT, you needed to be careful locking it... like any lock.. the key might snap. :blink:
Yea, why are all bike lock keys so wimpy? For low risk situations, I'm almost tempted to just use a cable or chain and a regular master pad lock.

Top Bottom