Locking a bike in a car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
On a couple of occasions recently, I've had to leave the bike locked in the car overnight, once outside my house, and once at my inlaws. Both places are fairly rural, we live on the edge of town down a single-track road that goes into a bridleway, and my inlaws live in the middle of no-where in Wales.

Both times though I've used my Kryptonite D-Lock to secure the bike in the car, using the flex cable hooped through the square steel bracket of the rear seat catch, which is welded to the body of the car. I figured it would be a good thing to get some level of protection to acutally lock the bike to the car, and not just lock it in it.

I hope this helps if anyone does leave their bike in the car regularly, or even occasionally. An extra bit of security could help stop your bike being nicked in a smash and grab as the thieves may not have the tools to get through a security cable.

On a couple of occasions recently, I've had to leave the bike locked in the car overnight, once outside my house, and once at my inlaws. Both places are fairly rural, we live on the edge of town down a single-track road that goes into a bridleway, and my inlaws live in the middle of no-where in Wales.

Both times though I've used my Kryptonite D-Lock to secure the bike in the car, using the flex cable hooped through the square steel bracket of the rear seat catch, which is welded to the body of the car. I figured it would be a good thing to get some level of protection to acutally lock the bike to the car, and not just lock it in it.

I hope this helps if anyone does leave their bike in the car regularly, or even occasionally. An extra bit of security could help stop your bike being nicked in a smash and grab as the thieves may not have the tools to get through a security cable.

Most Floor Anchors can be adapted for this purpose.....This one even has fittings for a van.

byegad

Legendary Member
I use a D lock to lock my recumbent trike to the loop for a luggage net. My last two cars had the loop as standard and while it would be possible to remove the retaining bolt with the D lock in place it would be a pig of a job with little arc to work with. A deterrent rather than a guaranteed thief safe solution.
On the other hand if a thief really wants it they'll take it. I remember Porsche advertising a new security system some years back. A TV programme arranged to test it with the proverbial 'Ex car thief'. He turned up with a lorry complete with on board crane and simply lifted the Porsche off the road and drove off with the alarm in the Porsche merrily blaring away.

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
A floor anchor's a good idea, esp in a van and if you're regularly leaving the bike locked in.

On the other hand if a thief really wants it they'll take it.

I agree, my suggestion was merely to make people think about leaving an expensive bit of kit in the car! My bike and another CC members bikes were locked in my car overnight the other week and together they were worth more than my car, there's a lot of value in bikes, thieves know it, so yes they'll try hard to nick them if they want them, we should make their job as difficult as possible though!

battered

Guru
I use the seat anchors as you say, it's a good tip. It's not fireproof, after all if the car is stolen then all bets are off, but nothing's fireproof. Last year I had 2 cars stolen when burglars came in the house as I slept and stole the keys. Police advice? "Take your keys upstairs Sir". What, so the burglars can come in my bedroom and ask me for them? No thanks.

I use the seat anchors as you say, it's a good tip. It's not fireproof, after all if the car is stolen then all bets are off, but nothing's fireproof. Last year I had 2 cars stolen when burglars came in the house as I slept and stole the keys. Police advice? "Take your keys upstairs Sir". What, so the burglars can come in my bedroom and ask me for them? No thanks.

Touch wood its never had a bike stolen from a locked car, I've always assumed that if worse came to the worse (so as to speak) that insurance would cover it. I don't think I've left anything other than my heavy hybrid in the back of the car though, with both wheels off, it would take quite an effort to get it out.

Top Bottom