Locking a bike with deep rim wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
I've laced in a 80mm + 55mm deep V rims onto disc hubs, for use on my city hack, as their braking surfaces have worn through; metal braking surface bonded to carbon, the rim manufacturer says the rims are structurally fine but you can't use rim brakes with them anymore.

But here's the problem how the hell do you secure the wheels & bike?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've laced in a 80mm + 55mm deep V rims onto disc hubs, for use on my city hack, as their braking surfaces have worn through; metal braking surface bonded to carbon, the rim manufacturer says the rims are structurally fine but you can't use rim brakes with them anymore.

But here's the problem how the hell do you secure the wheels & bike?
Lock them in the car? :whistle:

(More seriously ... take the front wheel off and put a d-lock through the frame and both wheels to something secure?)

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
cant you use a d lock with a cable wrap around? like my kryptonite one came with both.

agreed, a ridiculous use of such wheels!

Why?

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Look at Abus Cobra or Kryptonite Kryptoflex cables if you have a D Lock for the frame. They are only cables though so in my mind are more to avoid opportunist wheel thieves than people who want your pretty aero rims :smile:

edindave

Über Member
My hack gets worn out s**t... the fact it's getting rims which cost about £900 new doesn't make them any less worn out & not race/training worthy.

The lock I linked to comes with some sort of insurance/guarantee in the event of a theft. Might be worth checking out (and the small print). :thumbsup:

Top Bottom