Locks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dataretriever

Hi All,

What lock(s) do you all use to secure your recumbents? I'm after a good one for my trice Q. I have a couple of old D locks and a decent cable one on my hybrid but wondered if anyone has found a particular type that works well on a trike.

Also, Which bit do you lock? The rear wheel and frame? The cross bit? The front wheels? Take it to bits and put it in a safe? Tie the vicious, attack Golden Retriever to it?

I use a wire loop lock through the rear wheel and frame.
When my wife and i are out together we just pass the loop through a front wheel on each trike.
They are so rare and so prominent that i feel theft is a rare possibility if you use common sense.
Good luck with your new purchase.
The smile will never leave your face:biggrin:

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Hey dataretriever, you have a fantastic d-lock locking location on your Trice.

Where the rear suspension joins the main body is an empty bit of pipe that goes across the width of the trike. I pop the D-lock through there and stick chain through all three wheels and then round a helpful solid object. Works very well!

DSCF4660.jpg

Arch

Married to Night Train
I tend to just lock it through the rear triangle to a stand, as I would a bike 0 you need room to fit the front wheels in, of course.

Ah, I suppose a suspended trice doesn't have rear triangle, does it..

OP
OP
dataretriever

dataretriever

Thanks for those. I'll try the d lock and cable option, means a trip to a few LBS for a cable thing- damn! I tested the vicious,attack golden retriever method on my brompton outside Sainsburys' and caught her licking a potential thief when I returned. She has been demoted to draught excluder now....

squeaker

Über Member
Cable lock through the rear suspension pivot and around solid object, with the lock lying on the seat to try and dissuade anyone sitting on it. (Damage to track rods and steering controls are my main worry when I leave it in a public space.) Not very secure, but equally, as has been said above, not really the same sort of selling prospect as a MTB (I hope).

OP
OP
dataretriever

dataretriever

what length cable do you all use? I won't be able to take the new trike (Woohoo!) to the shop to check fit. I have seen the Kryptonite 220cm one on t'internet which i reckon should work.....

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Just measured our lock cable, it's 4.5 metres. I have to say I often use the entire length (to go round all three wheels and a convenient tree or whatever). I think 2 metres sounds a bit short if you wanted to make sure no-one ran off with your wheels!

OP
OP
dataretriever

dataretriever

Thanks Auntie, I'll try and find a longer one.

squeaker

Über Member
1.9m (combination lock) - really only a deterent. Unless you have QR front wheels, I'd just lock the rear wheel and frame. I'd have thought that any potential thief would be more likely to have a suitable cutter with him than the right size spanner! Unless you are worried about loosing your front tyres / tubes.....

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Well the front wheels on a Trice are pretty unusual - I would imagine they'd only fit another Trice or similar. But I tend to lock them just in case some amusing locals decide to remove them 'for laughs' - and mine do have quick releases.

I have different locks depending on where I'm going. If I'm just popping into a supermarket I'm fairly happy with a normal cheapo lock (that's lightweight) or if I'm on a group ride with lots of people. If I'm going somewhere where I routinely visit at the same time (i.e. when I go to Uni and park my Trice at the bike park for a specific length of time) I take the very decent D-lock with heavy cable. It's a pain to haul around as it's all heavy but better than having to walk home with no bike!

OP
OP
dataretriever

dataretriever

I've gone for a similar option. I don't have the QR option (yet) so have gone for a Dlock through the rearwheel and frame for short term and the Auntie recommended long cable with an old motorcycle disc brake (thatcham approved!) that fits beautifully around the main frame.

Went for the first ride on the new Q today, my legs don't hurt yet but am sure tomorrow will be sore.....

Top Bottom