Locksmith help please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
My back door is borked.

Went to work this am and locked door as normal. Came home and it won't let me in.

I've tried heat on the lock and have put penetrating stuff in the lock but still no joy. It's an UPVC door in an UPVC frame.

Any advice please?

Tried rattling it back and forth longers?
If it's a euro cylinder it will be easily replaceable - once you have drilled it out!
Back and forth with the key - withdraw it a touch and turn. Is there any crap at the end of the key stopping it going in?
Next?

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
It's well rattled and so am I.

Not drilled one out before, any advice on that from anyone please? I've got a spare door so could use that lock if need be.

The cylinder in a eurolock is secured by a machine screw which passes through the body of the cylinder - accessed from the edge of the door :evil:
You just need to swivel it a little, using the key 'in place' to withdraw / insert it...
Have you tried warming the whole door with a hair dryer or something...maybe the hook bolts (got those?) are frozen to the keeps in the frame?

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
I can borrow a hairdryer from work tomorrow so will give that a try before I get my drill out.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
When the UPVC lock broke at uni in 2006 we just got a locksmith out. Only took them an hour to sort it.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i'd try anything before a locksmith, they cost a fortune :smile:

Night Train

Maker of Things
Has someone else (thief) tried messing with your door?
From the inside you can remove the inside door handle assembly to access the lock through the plastic frame. The outside handle will fall off and will need a body or a prop to hold it in place to put the screws back in.

Want me to have a look?

Try this Bump Key The house breaker's best friend!
And here

Mr Pig

Get some carb cleaner and blast it into the lock, or WD40 if that's all you have. The lock might be broken but it's probably just frozen or stuck.
p4634784_x.jpg

This is what a eurolock barrel looks like. The black tab in the middle is what rotates and opens the lock, it pushes the bolt back and forth. The barrel is held in by a screw which goes into the hole under the tab. The screw is on the edge of the door so you can't get to it with the door closed.

You'll notice that the key in the picture is straight, yet the tab is to the side slightly? To get the barrel out you need to remove the screw 'and' turn the key so that the tab is inside the body of the barrel. Then it just slips out.

Bottom line is that if you cannot rotate the key in the lock there is no way to retract the bolt or dismantle the lock. If you cannot free the lock what you will have to do is drill out the part where the key goes. You will then be able to turn the tab with a screwdriver or bent wire and pull the bolt back.

It's possible that the bolt is stuck but it's very unlikely, it's usually the barrel.

Don't worry about destroying the barrel as they are a standard size (although you get different lengths) and are wildly available from hardware stores and DIY outlets like B&Q.

Twiggy

Fault diagnosis, 101.

Does the key fit the lock?
Does it rotate when fitted in the lock?
Was the lock "sticking" before the problem developed further?

a locksmith could deal with it pretty quick, without damaging the door.

If you do drill the lock, keep in mind it will take time.

Top Bottom